Wednesday, August 27, 2008

4 going on 14 and first play!

We are still finishing up summer here since preschool doesn't start until the 9th. Nick has been asking when he can go back so that is a good sign. He starts speech up again tomorrow with the public school district. We have the same therapist as last school year and we love her and are looking forward to big progress this year as he will have a full school year of therapy.


We attended Nick's first play on Sunday and he did great! We were a little worried at first because it started with alot of dialog but once the kids started singing and dancing, he really enjoyed it and sat still! His cousins were a part of the cast (Sebastian the crab and a shark). They did a great job! Our camera shutter got stuck so the pics of the kids did not show up.

We ate dinner at a renovated old time drugstore. It was yummy! Nick would eat ice cream 24/7 if you would allow him which would just horrify the baby house Doctor....NOTHING COLD! He was loving the swirly chairs at the counter and the man behind the counter was quite amused at his energy and enthusiasm for life (that's our Nick!)
We have had several good playdates lately and Nick is really starting to actually play with his friends. He has forever done his own thing but as his english skills and social skills have improved so has his interactions. He loves to pretend pirates and swashbuckle, run from ghosts, lifeguard, put out fires, and cook. We played with his friend Libby today at a huge indoor play place. They had a great time climbing and playing games and even set up housekeeping with a little "house" in the toddler area with big foam blocks. His big accomplishment today was going down the "fire" poles without help and without falling! I am so amazed at his ability to learn physical tasks so quickly. He is very coordinated!




They played a mean game of air hockey and Libby squashed him quickly as Nick thought it was fun to put the puck in his goal so he could get it out the bottom hole. Libby did have some smashing shots though! :)
Nick, ever the character, was impressing Libby with his standing flying skills. She of course thought he was hilarious especially when he chose to just step out of the plane in mid-flight....not sure that one will work for ya in real life bud! ;)
Nick is constantly making me laugh at the goofy things he does (gets this from his father!) and he decided that his rabbit hat was a ghost hood but he still needed his glasses to see. LOL!
Pat and I are amazed that somehow 4 is the new 14! He is a teenager way before his time. His attitude lately is so hard to discipline because we usually are laughing our heads off.
His new phrases as of late are:
- roll eyes...."OK "sigh "what-eveh!
-I guess he has heard us say I told you "X" times that you may not do that so now he tells us...
"I told you 3 "days", I in charge!" We are not sure where the days comes from but it is hilarious!
- I may have mentioned this before but when he wants us to do something and we say no.....he sighs real big (think teenager disgust) "you're not listening to me, I told you "insert demand"! So funny.
It scares me that some of his inflections may be learned from that person with which he spends the most time with.....ummmmm, Amigo? ;)
On our bad days, I get so discouraged that I am not "parenting" perfectly....All those books I read before and still read give such great speeches for such and such occasion. ( I am not convinced these people are really parents!) I want to so badly say all the right things so that he will not be scarred for life AND I have been able to pat myself on the back most days because I always go to the bible first for my not so perfect reactions......"Thou shalt not Kill!" Yes, that is about all I can muster in those moments.......especially when he has decided that after a year and 1/2 of no interest in writing that he wants to try making "letters" with a permanent marker on the sofa. Yeah, book learnin did me no good on that day! ha! I think I said something to the tune of "you are killing me, child".....of course this probably made no sense to him but he understood the attitude as later that night at dinner he proceeded to say to his father after daddy said no to something....."You're killing me child, dad!" with such exasperation. We just cracked up!
Our pastor just finished up teaching on James and one week he spent talking about our "tongues" and the dangerous tool that they can become....oi! have I got some work to do! :)

5 comments:

Matthew Ruley said...

I can associate - our Andrey is really into talking back and it irks me to no end. Things like "no, YOU stop!". What do you do? I understand its the only way he thinks he has power, but he does it with such attitude I hate to think what it could escalate to in his teens. What do you do?

We tell the kids how long they have to do something- like bath or until we leave and Andrey is into running aroundthe house yelling "three minute!" and someone clacked their tounge and now he's into that. He;'ll go "(clack) um... I want (insert here demand)" - and I think what he's doing is mouth diaria to hear what he can say and to be listened to. That's cute. I can handle that...

I agree, I think alot of the parenting books are so theoretical and impossible. How do you remain calm all the time? I try but its not easy when I too want to commit a major sin!

All the pens, markers, scisors and other dangerous things are way way way out of reach for fear of the letter thing... Did you get it out?

Joanne & Andy said...

I can totally associate with getting frustrated. I have to watch what I say sooo closely and somedays that is not easy! My boys don't have the words to talk back yet, but let me tell you they talk back with their actions, especially Nicholas, it is frustrating at times. I also agree with you that the people who write the books do not have children of their own. If they do I would like to spend a day with them and see how they really react when their children are misbehaving.

junglemama said...

My kids would eat ice-cream for breakfast, lunch, and dinner too!

junglemama said...

((hugs)) I wanted to do a separate comment on the talking back thing. As you know, I can so relate to this post, however I would not allow that kind of talk. I know things are different with Nic being your first child (and adopted) but after having bio and seeing that I can't treat any of my children any different I would not hesitate to give a timeout- writing assignment or even soap if it was a bad word to any and all of my kids. This is just to say what I do, and I know that you know what is best for your child. You are such a great mom that I am sure you are handling it beautifully.

Shannon Sampson said...

hilarious. I LOVE it. Lauren Clay is always saying, "You have two choices, mom..." Clearly, she learned that from me :) We had fun at the park yesterday. Wish we could have come earlier, but I've learned to let sleeping babes lie...