Well, our next second time around event came and went today. We had Nick's second halloween party at preschool. Last year, he did not have a clue what was going on and was quite ambivalent about the whole affair. He would not participate in the program and would not even stand with his peers. He had to be with me almost the whole time. While I am so glad that we still had him attend all of the "first time" events, it was hard as a new parent to go thru those events thinking that maybe "this time" he would enjoy it and be like the other kids his age. Most people knew that he was adjusting to a new home and family but there were times that I still found myself wanting to "explain" why he was having a meltdown at a party, sporting event, carnival, etc. I would get so hurt by the "looks". I just wanted to scream with him. I wanted to get a shirt that said "my child is suffering from post traumatic stress, what is your child's excuse?" :) But we have all survived. Nick has really taken on a new confidence lately. He has matured in many ways. Again this last week, his speech teacher said that she has seen a big difference just since August. I think she is as amazed as we are. Today's Halloween Party was huge for me. I got to be a "normal" mom. I watched my child, antsy with anticipation, hurry to his classroom so the party could start. I watched him sing songs, shake his booty, do almost all the hand motions, and even crack a joke that everyone laughed at in the crowd. It was a grand moment indeed! I could write on and on about all the little things that he is doing now that just amaze us but it is hard to describe the change in words that give the full extent of the metamorphosis. Nick went to bed tonight so excited that tomorrow is halloween and that this year he will go trick or treating. He has been talking about it all week. It seems that for us, second time is the charm and the fun and the joy!
Once again, I felt the need to post this year and last year pictures. The pictures are of the same party at his preschool just one year apart. The turtle is last year, and of course, what else but the Pirate this year!
I will finish this post with a sweet Nick-ism from Pat. We were a part of the church service last week as they were speaking on human trafficking. Adoption was discussed as one way we can all be a part of aiding and rescuing children at risk. While we were at the front of the church for after service questions, Pat was walking Nick around and talking about the stage and such. Pat said he asked about the baptismal area and Pat gave him a 4 year old version answer and Nick said "so, like a bath, you go in dirty and you come out clean" ......no wonder Christ told us to have the Faith of a Child.......they get it. So simple, So sweet.






5 comments:
What an adorable pirate boy!!! I'm so happy for you that things have gotten easier this time around. Just goes to show what a whole year of having great parents and lots of love will do. Hope you have a great Halloween and fun trick-or-treating.
Love,
Jody
Cute, cute!!
I love that we are celebrating things their second time around too.
Will you send me your personal e-mail address please. Lost it in the move. thanks.
Wow - again,the changes from last year are remarkable. Nick is a cool, adorable pirate! I love Nick - his understanding of the baptism made me cry.
Hia Karen.
So lovely to catch up on your BLOG this morning. Thank you for the comment on our one this week. Your little Kazman has grown so so much girl. He is such a great kid. I understand completely you posting pictures of 'then' and 'now' I believe in order to see how far we have come we need to see where we started!
That looks like such a cool playground......I could see our Orin there - he would be climbing on top of things and not in them though :-)
Still hoping to make the get together next year in Nashville. It is 13 hour drive but we are trying to a few families we travelled with to go too.
We will DEFINITELY have to meet up.
The Keoghclan.
What a change! Too cute!
Post a Comment