I guess I have had picture block, writer's block or maybe even facebook block (yes, I am addicted). Who knows....but it has been far too long since I have mused about my sweet Krazy Kazakh and life in general.
We have had a busy New Year getting back on schedule and as expected the post holiday re-adjustments that are present as one little boy gets back to our routine and I guess "boring" life with mom and dad...... a vast array of cousins are WAY cooler.
We had our SECOND post adoption interview at the beginning of the month. I can't believe we will be hitting our 2 year anniversary for "meetcha day" in just a few weeks! It really can't be so! Although our Gotcha day was many weeks later and homecoming many more after that......I still can't believe that we are back to when we left for Kaz...2 whole years later!
Nick is just the most hilarious and obstinate/stubborn/strong-willed child I have ever met. He makes us laugh and cry more than Braveheart and Hitch put together! We have to constantly stay on our toes with discipline, creativity, and patience but he gives back in love, laughter, joy and the best hugs ever!
Today, after a particularly trying time in the car, he came inside and finally made an attitude adjustment and proclaimed to me " Mom, I turned my frown upside down, and you want some more good news?" (me)what is that ? " I love you"
OK, how cute is that....he comes up with these kind of things all of the time....I think that is why pictures are far and few between because you really can't capture his magic right now in pics....its got to be video.
Earlier this month, he was running around alot saying "undergod" like how you would yell "Underdog" super hero style....yes, I am that old to remember that show! We were just at a loss to figure out the context.....I even went so far as to give him a lecture about being careful about how we use the Lord's name. One day it finally hit me, duh!, Under God in the Pledge of Allegiance. I knew they learned it in Bible Study but I also found out they were learning it at preschool. So, I started the Pledge off and he would finish all my sentences.....Pat and I were speechless. So cute.....so we had to share........Not perfect but oh,so cute! Please excuse the Bob the Builder set up...not sure why he had to belt it out but this is his usual volume.....yes, it is painful, I know! I thought this video was quite appropriate for tomorrow. Maybe that is why Nick sang "can we fix it, yes, we can!" and we are very proud to be Americans. I didn't vote for him but I will pray for him that he will be safe and that his family will be safe and that he will lead with integrity and character and that we as Americans will take responsibility for this mess we are in.......
Nick is taking swim lessons again. I think this might be our last for awhile. He really cannot focus well when he WANTS to be IN the water not sitting on the side. I feel for the teacher but I have gone over and over the "listening" rules but he sees that water and just has to be under it. First week, he sat at the side of the pool while she was talking or doing something with the other kids and just put his head under the water. Looked like an Ostrich! I was trying to give him the MOM look across the pool but he would only come up for air! Weird kid I tell you....I think diving class will be better. He could care less about learning proper stroke technique. Tonight, I was kind of stressed watching him not sit and listen. Does that mean he won't be ready for Kindergarten next year? Will he be so distracted in class? He can't focus...what does that mean? ugh!
He has his mid-year preschool eval on Thursday. I am so afraid that they will say that he should not go to Kindergarten. Now, I am not one of those parents who won't hold them back but he matured so much these last few months that I had a little hope that we could send him on since he is a Feb birthday. If he had a summer birthday, I would have no problems holding him back but he really seems to act young with the young and older with the older. Does that make sense? I want him to be with kids his age so he can rise to the occasion not linger in the toddler world. But, I will wait and see and try not to get too anxious. We can do K twice and I definitely think he needs the social aspect of school everyday so we shall see. Another option is transitional K but everyday.
Nick current interests and joys.....
1. Signs-he wants to know what each one says and loves the ones with a circle and line thru it which he knows always means "do not". Our only problem is if we don't see the one he is pointing to before we pass it.....he will want you to turn the car around.
2. "whips" style yogurt - I haven't really allowed him to have too many yogurt products because you might as well give them candy with the sugar in them. No, I won't give him the fake sugar kind...that is a whole different issue to me. I have tried the organic, non-sugar types like they had in Kaz but he will not eat them...it is either texture or sugar...can't decide. But, he loves the Whips so they count as a treat.....not an everyday thing. He loves them so.
3. flashlights -- he got two for Christmas. OBSESSED. He wants all of the lights in the house off all of the time. He is always "looking" for someone or something. Pat is getting him ready for camping and I think he is going to be all for it! All day, I get...Mommy, will you come downstairs and be my campin' buddy?
4. Friends and a social life -- the reason I really want to send him to K is so he can get his "social" fill for the day....it is torture when your son says mom, will you play with me all day and then when there are times you have to say no, he says "but playing alone is no fun?" with the biggest pout, sweetsie face ever. We have started incorporating Nick in our family chores (he had difficulty with this in the early days) so this helps a little on the weekend. He helps me make the bed in the morning so I am learning new ways to include him that don't involve "rescue heroes" or camping for me all of the time.
Our not too great things to finish off 2008 are....
1. Sassie, Sassie mouth! ..... his discipline is swift and sure and sometimes really spicy hot!
2. Still loves to be in control....he now calls me Boss instead of Mom....thus the reason for #1.
3. Inability to control his "curiosity" while I am in the shower (NO, I am not taking one at night or before he wakes up....this would be about O dark thirty) This week he decided to see what sound his comb makes while scratching up and down on our dresser.....
I present Exhibit A...the dresser
And, Exhibit B....the comb minus some teeth now.
We still have baby locks and things up way high and he is almost Five...does it ever end? He grabbed some lotion that I had out (up high) by scaling the laundry baskets and climbing the dresser drawers! I just want a shower where I am not saying, Nick are you sitting on the bed watching your show....I can hear you!
There are probably some more but I cannot write further......FB withdrawals....LOL!
I will try to get some more pics this week and a teacher eval update too. If you start missing the posts...just get on FB and then you can shame me into an update! ;) Until then, I am going back to the 80's and all my high school friends!!!






10 comments:
i love hearing his voice and the way he says bob the builder sounds as if their is some southern twang in it, just slightly (i can say htat because i am a southern girl).
My Ryan is the sweet, sensitive, love on you kid as well as the strong willed, will I (me) make it through this day kid. I've decided I can take the second as long as I have the first equal or more time!
What a great update! And cute pictures. I think him turning his frown upside down and telling you he loves you is just about the sweetest. Isn't it great they do those adorable things that make us forget the frustrating times or at least feel a little less upset?! :)
Love the update! Nick is just too advanced for the swimming lessons at the Y. I've never seen a kid that loves the water as much as him- you have a potential Olympian! And I love the "yes we can!" bob the builder song prior to the Pledge. Very fitting- Barack Obama would be so proud, as am I- LOL! See you on FB!
Dennis just discovered flashlights and loves them!
Great pledge Nicholas! You sound like a true American.
Garrett can also be sweet and sour at the same time. What's up with that? I also love Nick's frown upside down & I love you comments—kind of makes up for all those trying moments. huh?
Great post Karen, keep 'em up!
Fun update! We are going to try the swim lessons for Noah soon. I am sure he will love them if he can sit still long enough and listen to his teacher. Love 4 year olds! :) FB is very addicting and the people that turn up crack me up!!!
Loved the update - lots of work on your part. What a celebration of two years - and what a marvelous gift you received! I am greatly impressed that he puts his head under water - that is WAY advanced. Both Saul and Josh resisted that forever. The swimming teacher finally got frustrated and just threw Saul into the water!
2009 will be even better! Don't have too much angst about where to put him in school - if you make a mistake, he will definitely let you know.
Love, Carol
Facebook - everyone keeps trying to get me on it and I've gotten as far as my profile. No time :)
I know everything will work out regarding Kindergarten. We will have the same predicament next year.
Can't believe you are starting the rounds on your two year anniversaries!!
ben loves flashlights, too. He has one that goes on his head.
Love the update Karen! I think Milo and Nick are neck-to-neck in the running for the "most hilarious and obstinate/stubborn/strong-willed child I have ever met." I feel like your blog is often a crystal ball looking into how Milo will be in a few years!
I hope the school situation works out for you all. My computer won't play the videos for some reason today, so I'll have to come back to those later.
Happy New Year and I'll see you on Facebook!
Checking in. Wow he did a doozy on your dresser. I understand the shower thing. I have consired taking a shower (on non school days) after they go to bed. I can trust Alyona but Andrey is a different story! He can and will get into anything and everything!
Hope the school thing works out. Cant wait for the update...
Post a Comment