Sunday, May 17, 2009

What's been going on?

So I know many of you have been wondering (or not) what the "boys" did while we were on the Kcubed weekend adventure....well, they....


CAMPED IN THE BACK YARD.....





WENT ON THEIR FIRST FATHER/SON HIKE


AND ATTENDED THE UK BALLOON FESTIVAL! I think they had a great time while mommy was away!
*************************************************
*************************************************
Nick loves to read with us. I have trouble keeping our book budget in check because I always think that he needs to hear that story, or he would crack up at that, or he would love to talk about that character, etc....so he has LOTS of books....he actually calls his area to put his books "the library" and yes, there is THAT many! He rarely stops for long but for a book he will sit for very extended periods of time. One afternoon, Pat had offered to sit and read to Nick and told him to go pick some books.....Below, is what he came back with and proceeded to stack on the table!! ;)

Yes, those are all bibles in their various "kid" forms.....and he does want you to read them page by page..."all of the stories!" Do I see Seminary in his future, professor in higher education, a librarian perhaps!?! (by the way, if you have never seen the series called The Librarian with Carter from ER, you have missed a great show!) Carter's Librarian is actually how I see Nick!
*****************************************
*****************************************
Nick's preschool had their end of the year performance. He was a silly clown.....how true, how true. He did a great job!



****************************************
****************************************
You know how I love to look at how much our boy has grown and changed. Lately, he has just seemed so more grown up. The baby is all gone. We didn't get much baby at all but there was so much vulnerability and innocence in that first year....much like a new born. All those cries and screams you don't know what to do with but then you slowly learn what this cry means and what that action represents. I miss his sweet babyish face but I love my big boy too. Most days, we can communicate on a big boy level.....even above that at times. Yes, he regresses and it is painful but even the regressions are less baby, kind of more teenager (ha!). We came home a few Sundays ago from church and several people had commented on how old he was looking and I have to concur..... I will let you compare. There are 2 pics taken on May 5th, 2007 and the other two almost exactly 2 years later to the date....on May 6th 2009! Amazing and so handsome!


****************************************
****************************************
Pat and I are celebrating our birthdays this week by going to dinner and Star Trek tonight. We may do a Brat-fest(the big greasy sausage not the gathering of children) on his actual birthday and a new recipe on mine. I am going to veer away from my usual Magee's obsession for my birthday cake and have the privilege of my good friend Amy's mom do the honors this year. She makes the best cakes and has spoiled me this year with little treats that she has made once she knew that I loved her ICING! She rocks and I am so excited. Only 3 week left til Kazakh adoptive families converge onto the poor unsuspecting Opryland hotel. I cannot wait! I feel like I know so many more families this year and we are praying that Nick will be just one more year down the road of tolerance of over stimulation....prayers appreciated! ;) Cincy Karen and fam will be there (Minnie, we will miss you so much!) and I am finally going to meet my Canadian (via Ireland) favorite cheerleader, Mary and family! She has followed us almost from Day one in Kaz. She sent us lots of humor and encouragement thru our 10 week stay in Kaz and has the one and only 2nd Kazmanian Devil, Orin. It really will be scary when all of the Kazakh energy collides on the 5th...If in Nashville on that weekend and the lights dim, Kazapalooza has begun! ;) As Nick has been saying lately, Let's get Rollin'!

12 comments:

Carol said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAYS !!!!!!!

Love,
Carol

Stacy said...

Can't wait to see you guys and especially Nick! Happy Birthday!

Karen said...

Happy Birthdays—are you just days apart? Have a brat for me.

Your little baby has grown so much; I hardly recognized him from two years ago. Isn't it amazing. And such a biblical scholar, who knew? He's just full of surprises. I'm sure he'll astound you at Kazapalooza. It'll be nothing like last year. After all, he is the elder statesmen. Ha. Be sure to look out for Anita and her son Charlie who is 5 years old. Charlie was Garrett's best buddy from the baby house. I'm sure he and Nick would have a great time. (And Anita's great too—they're in the process of adopting again from Kaz.)

We'll miss you in Nashville!!!! Be sure to take lots and lots of pictures.

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Oh my goodness, I can't believe that's the same Nick! And I've even been following along for a long time. It's not just growing from an age/height/weight thing that is noticeable ... it's that he's really "grown" into such an amazing little boy. I know I tell you this all of the time, but you are truly my inspiration. Pat and you are such amazing parents. A stack of bibles for his reading list? Does it get any better than that? :-)

Happy bday!!!! Not sure what day exactly (I should know that), but HAPPY BIRTHDAY this week!

keoghclan said...

Hi there. Wow what a difference in the two years. You still see the 'divilment' in Nick - what a cute little boy he is.

I laughed as he and Orin have two of the same tops......the colourful striped sweater and the green vest top!!

Back from my trip to Dublin. Had a ball, though weather HORRID!!! Just meant I ate more :-)

So looking forward to seeing you in 2 weeks and 2 days.

We are going on to Memphis afterwards for a few days. The vacation will be brilliant!

Take care

Mary K.

Kim said...

Holy Moly Nick has grown! Wow! He is adorable!

I have a hard time keeping the book budget in check as well. Books are the one thing I wouldn't have a problem blowing all our money on!

Jaimie, Gena and Berik said...

Hi , I have followed a bunch of blogs but don't think I have seen yours and it looks like you have an awesome amount of fun so I am bookmarking it to read!! We adopted our son Berik, from Astana at 8 mths and he is now 3. Even though Nick is 5 Berik will be drawn to him as he likes the older kids. Berik is loud as well so you may have people looking at Berik at the Kazapalooza too! We won't be there until Sat afternoon though but I saw you on the introductions of the Kaz folks and thought I'd say hi. I don't remember seeing you last year but maybe so.Berik loves books too and I just ordered some new ones to take on vacation. I have followed Garrett but not Max. You 3 sounded like you had a fantastic weekend out! Nice to meet you. Our blog is www.berikjames.blogspot.com Gena Lloyd

Aaron and Julie said...

First - Happy Birthday :) I know I am late, but the wishes are the same! I'm having a hard time getting online lately.

I hear you - Ben is definitely baby no more & we have teenage days. We were looking at photos from last summer & it almost made me cry how grown up he has become. I think we have the top bible in Nick's stack. Ben has been asking interesting questions lately - especially "where does Jesus live?".

Glad the boys got to go camping in the yard :) I'm sure it was a great experience for them.

I so wish we were headed to TN !

Teresa said...

Are you in KY? I saw your name on Kazapalooza... I'll be there too!

Jstar said...

He is so adorable! Glad that the boys' weekend went so well :)

Jody and Rich said...

Hope you had great birthdays!! My, he has grown into such a little gentleman--he's adorable. Hope you have a blast at Kazapalooza.
Jody

Susan said...

yum yum..and happy birthday (belated!!!) I already saw the yummy cakes on your previous post and YUM is all i have to say!

and, ok, I know i Keep saying this, but Nick is so freaking adorable and in so.many.ways he reminds me of Sean.
Sean read all the stories in his children's bible, his room is a library..I am not even lying. Joe used to get onto me and the book fairs, at his school, and the ones that came to work would LOVE ME cuz i was the top buyer (imagine that, me??) When Joe and I worked at the same company, i would have to sneak the books out to my car before he came down and saw me shopping. However-I don't regret it at all..he is a FANTASTIC READER and I think its really helped him in school. I was saddended cuz Leeza has tons of books too, (not just Sean's hand me downs but all the ones i bought while I waited for her, plus all the ones i keep buying) but she was not all that interested. However..I guess that just takes time like anything else....lately...oh my gosh, she LOVES books, and all my Sean standbys (goodnight moon, brown bear brown bear) get "more" "more" and EVEN AN UNSOLICITED PEEAZE!!
Now she loves "Momo" (elmo) and i went and bought like 5 new Elmo books. LOL

I say you can never have too many books, or too many bows. :)

Nick sure has a fun daddy-loved all the stuff they did together. He is a very loved and lucky kid..and hey..READERS ARE LEADERS. :)