We started out the First day at McDonald's with a family breakfast and all out Kindergarten pep talk!
It looks like they are deep in prayer here.....maybe they were, I know I was! :)
In front of his new elementary school! He is so handsome although not too sure about all this. It was a bit chaotic around the school with all the parents taking pictures and such....we were just glad not to be the ONLY parents who wanted to do the geeky picture thing. :)
Me and my boy! He was getting ready to reach up and grab my face and kiss it. Such a smooshie mushie boy!
We took him to his room and found his cubby .....he was just not too sure about all this hoopla!
Daddy was giving the last big pep talk......
Mommy filling out the last papers and Nick READY TO START THE DAY! What a smile!
Our boy is in elementary school! He has cried a little in the mornings but overall, he likes school! Pat and I were a bit overwhelmed at all the parental activity the first day. Parents were everywhere taking pictures and getting their little ones to class. I actually was impressed by all the fathers there. I'm glad to know that we will be a school with both parents involved and glad to see that actually both parents WANT to be involved.
All day/week on facebook and in blogland, I have been reading ode's to the first day of Kindergarten. Lots of introspective and weepy moms speaking their hearts. I'm not sure sending him to K was any different than preschool for me except for the length of time he is gone from us. My stomach was churning in anticipation. How was he going to deal with it all? How would he behave? Is he going to cry? Am I going to cry? The unknown just freaks me out.
I don't think we had the "typical" parent feelings because simply, he has only been with us 2 and 1/2 years. There are no baby memories, no amazement of how fast time flew, no reminiscing with fellow moms about "remember when", etc. We don't have that kind of time flow and memory recall. I don't dwell on those facts because I had no control over them. I try to remember that those 3 years in the baby house for good or bad helped create the boy that we have today and I really love the boy that we have today.
I have to admit that I was a school junkie....always loved it, always will. I loved to learn and I loved my teachers. So, I was generally so excited for Nick. He loves to learn and now he can have almost 7 hours of a constant learning environment, new friends, and fun challenges. I am just so excited for him and that is where all the introspection comes for me.
I am overwhelmed and amazed at all our boy has accomplished in 2 1/2 short years.
*learned how to be a son and a part of a family
*learned how to belong to a group in a different capacity than in an orphanage
*learned how to be a member of society at the store, in church, in school, etc
*learned how to speak a new language and new way of communicating
*learned how to receive nutrition in a non institutional and unregulated way
*learned how to be a friend
*learned how to play and pretend
*learned how to spontaneously laugh and to recognize fun and joyful moments
*learned how to be safe and avoid danger
*learned how give and receive affection and love
*learned how to swim
*learned about God's love and His hand in all of our lives
*learned to develop a love for books and reading
*learned to apologize and also to forgive
I think I could go on and on but you get the idea. This boy has done amazing things in almost 2 1/2 years.....sure all kids learn those things but he had to do it in half the time to be ready for Kindergarten. AND, he is starting on time at 5 1/2! We feel so blessed. We know so many adoptive and biological parents that have struggled so much more to get where we were this week and I just feel thankful. The potential and infinite possibilities that I hope our boy will be able to fulfill in the coming years gives me chills and tears most days! It is these kind of days...big days...that make me ponder for a short time the "what ifs"....
what if we had chosen fertility treatments over adoption
what if we had said, NO, we really want an infant.....he's too old
what if we had chosen the other child
what if we had decided not to pursue being parents
what if we had chosen Russia, China, or Guatemala
I know God would have had blessings and trials for us in any or all of those situations had we chosen them instead but God chose for our lives to cross with Nick's and we are all forever changed........ us by the journey and Nick by no longer remaining an orphan. It is the thought that another "Nick" or "Nicole" full of potential, full of love, full of worth may not get the same chance as our Nick did that haunts me. When I look at Nick's picture in front of the school, I think of them and then I cry. So my tears are flowing but not necessarily for the same reason as most other moms. I am honored and humbled to have crossed paths with Nick by God's grace but I am also brought to my knees in pain and conviction about the others.
Our church has been discussing what we as Christians are really called to do here on earth. They have been talking about "IT". What is IT for each of us that makes us more like Jesus, that causes us to take risks, to LOVE deeper and sacrifice more. Our pastor has called us to make a difference in Kentucky, the US and the World.......we are called to feed the hungry, clothe the poor, house the homeless and take care of the orphans....father the fatherless. Do we need the latest techno gadget, biggest house, fastest car, best schools, coolest clothes to be like Jesus to others? I say absolutely not. When are we going to get a clue? If we all decided to take on God's call to us then what would happen? Would we wipe out hunger, would everyone have a place to sleep at night, would there be no orphans who aged out of the system with nowhere to go but the street or crime, would one more "Nick" go to Kindergarten just like everyone else with mom and dad taking pictures and whispering I love you as you backed out of the doorway.....WHAT IF? I don't know at this point if we will adopt again but I know our hearts have forever been changed toward orphan care. We can make a difference, we DID make a difference in one life, one kindergartners life.......how many more can we help/love/serve? Yep, that's the stuff I thought about this week as my boy went to school, what about you? :)






7 comments:
Wow, Karen. This is a beautiful post. I'm going to go back & re-read it because it made me cry (uh, pretty hard) halfway through. We can relate in SO many ways.
So HAPPY & Thrilled for Nick - what an awesome Kindergartender who God has an awesome plan for. I love the pictuers in front of the school :) The photo of father & son holding hands is priceless.
Wow, I can't believe Nick is starting Kindergarten already! Our Nick will be heading off to pre-school in Sept., that will be a big change in our house.
Now I am writing a reply through tears - that was a beautiful post! Despite the religious differences, we think a lot alike. There is a Jewish saying that if you save one life it is as if you saved a whole world - because indeed a whole new world will come to and from Nick. We can only pray that the ones you did not pick will also have someone special enter their lives.
On a more mundane note, I cannot believe that school starts so early there! What ever happened to the day after Labor Day?
Love,
Carol
Wow, they grow up fast! Glad to hear he is doing well!
Okay, why didn't you warn me that I should NOT read this post while at work?! I'm boo-hooing, which I'm sure co-workers will now interpret as, "Uh-oh, something really bad is about to happen at work." :-) I LOVE LOVE LOVE this post, and I am definitely going to come back to it often. Especially when I want to buy an IPhone! (Just kidding -- I don't want an IPhone. But, can I have a 2-story addition for our house?! smile...). I am so called back to Kaz, and your post reminds me to stay the course, as optimistically as possible. So many people will be driven away by the rumors, the cost, etc. I'm doing my best not to be deterred!
Nick is amazing. You'll never do it, but I hope that you are composing, at least in your mind, the post you could author about the amazing things that Pat and you have accomplished in the last 2 1/2 years. The fact that you went on this journey together, down an unexpected path, and have not only survived but you have a THRIVING son, speaks to the love and commitment that you have to both God and one another. I'm in awe.
Happy first week of kindergarten, Nick! We are so proud of you and we love you!
Karen, Glenn, and Max.
Hi missus. I just re-read this post. It made me cry the first time I read it - and now again! What I love about your posts are they are always real, injected with humour and they always, always touch me.
You guys are a lovely family and parent Nick so wonderfully. Your love for him and pride in him and his achievements are so evident and that in my world is cool!! I always compare where you are today with Nick and think that is where we will be next year with Orin - I remember last year when I was despairing with Orin and tantrums you were able to talk me down and show me things would improve - and they have.
I laughed when I saw your comment 'It looks like they are deep in prayer here.....maybe they were, I know I was! :) You see thats the humour that never fails to make me smile - you have style in the way you deal with things and I like that........
Hope kindergarden continues to be going well. I did email you back with my email address (it is a personal note from Multiply) if you did not get it let me know and I will try another way.
Take care lovey.
Mary
So glad I found this post ... inspiring, beautiful and moving! What a wonderful perspective on the measurement of years, a wonderful perspective on the path you chose that led you to Nick ... I think about all these things and who is waiting for us on the other side as we embark next month on our own journey.
So glad to read your story ....
Stephanie
Post a Comment