What have we been up to lately? Besides having someone sick for the last 3 weeks, mostly Nick, we have tried to start venturing out every weekend to do something fun as a family. We have been bad about avoiding these things as the past bad experiences in the early days jaded us for further excursions but Nick has really matured so each new adventure gives us more confidence to take the next adventure....
We planned on going to Ikea in Cinci to get some wall units for my organization goals since I have some free time now. So, Patrick decided a small detour north to Dayton and the airforce museum would be a good family adventure. Recently, we had good friends move up there also so we gave them a call too. We headed up north after church. After we missed our friends for an hour or so due to bad cell connections in the museum and even funnier, we both were calling each others home numbers instead of cell numbers.(...can you say dorks!), we finally met up with them and the boys played on the planes and ran around. We love the museum! We did not have our cameras with us when the boys were playing but did have some shots of Nick before we met up. Nick and Pat when on the simulator and I actually think Nick was a bit disappointed that you really didn't leave the ground.



And, then we headed to Ikea! We had it all planned out since you only get an hour of free childcare and it takes almost that long to walk thru without shopping!! It seemed we were not meant to get anything again as the shelving and color we wanted was out of stock. I opted for the available color and to my surprise it wasn't that much different than the other color that I wanted. So happy! So below is a picture of our first purchase. We plan to go back and get another identical to this one for our office. Nick was not originally supposed to be in the pic but wanted to show off Super Bear although you can barely see him on his head! I am just glad to have a place for everything and it has helped keep things organized except for all the playmobil/lego pieces that are a thorn in my side.......all I am saying is if you have younger boys, only ask for playmobil or lego stuff when they are about 15! :)

The imagination station brought us the Happy Meal helmet this particular week. He actually had the upside down M handles on his eyes like goggles too. He is so funny!

Last weekend, we ventured back out to our local hiking trails. Daddy had taken him a while back and had a fairly successful adventure so this time we were going to try a whole loop. We usually had to turn around and come back the same trail because we were afraid to get too far out! He made the loop! We were so proud and tired! By no means is he a quiet hiker so animals will be far and few between but we are considering it a grand success.


This weekend, we headed to the planetarium in a near-by town. It was fun and he really liked the stars and planets. I would say the "movie" was about circa 1980 but he sat and watched the whole thing. After also visiting my great aunt and uncle, we headed back home. Good family time!
As I said in the beginning, we have had lots of sickness lately. Nick started it all with strep several weeks ago. Pat and I thought we had it but mine was sinus and Pat just spiked a fever and then came down with the worst poison ivy that I have ever seen! It just kept spreading. He finally had to go get a steroid shot and now is on a steroid taper until after next week. The good news is that we are on the mend. Nick however is having a chest cold/bronchitis flair up? He spiked a fever last night to almost 104. Bless his heart! I am wondering if he picked up something at school or the doctor's office? We had a little emergency visit to the doctor on Friday because the teacher was worried that he had blood inside his ear. I was worried that he had developed an ear infection after his strep episode, and he just not being one to show pain, just didn't say anything and now, his eardrum had burst. Total Mom guilt! Well, Not exactly the case! The doctor started checking his ears and then said "hmmmm, Nick did you stick something in your ear" and in true Nick form...no denial, no confession...just "how did you know?" I couldn't believe it. He had stuck something in his ear. The eraser end of a pencil, we think. Luckily, not far enough to damage the drum or other important stuff but had traumatized (scratched) the canal enough to bleed. So now we have expensive ear antibiotic drops and I am kicking myself for not asking her to check his chest/throat again as it was only the next day (yesterday) that he started with this chest cough and fever. Will it never stop! He hadn't been sick for almost a year or more and then you start Kindergarten and wham! I thought he would have had more in preschool but apparently not! Bigger kids, bigger germs? So, we are thankful that this is a holiday weekend and hopefully, he will be fever free today and tomorrow and get back to school on Tuesday.
Speaking of school, he is doing well! He loves spanish and is always singing for us and saying random words in spanish. We are struggling with writing homework but I am just going to have to let it go and just let him learn at his pace. The teachers don't seem to be that alarmed about his lack of skills so we shall see. His scissor skills have improved so much since last year that I hope his writing will kick in as well. We always have OT in the back of our minds but we will see how the next few months progress. He improves every week so we shall see. We have had some battles after school as I am sure he is just about sensory overloaded at that point but we continue to try new rules or structure that keeps him from melting down. He tossed his backpack over the stair rail last week. It didn't hit anyone but the looks I got from the other mothers was enough to make me cry for hours after. Nick received punishment but I was ready to never go back into the school again. What is it about raising kids that brings up so many old feelings and behaviors in the parents. My sister is struggling with her daughter because it mostly reminds her of her days in 1st and second grade and the younger me avoided all things that would draw attention or would get me in trouble and all of those feelings came flooding back when Nick misbehaved and did something that I would NEVER do! I felt completely condemned not to mention there was a teacher at the bottom of the stairs asking "who did it"! Ugh, I was way more traumatized than Nick was even with the million consequences I tried to give him.....although I did realize I was going overboard after talking with a friend. It just goes to show that parenting often teaches us more about ourselves, the good and the bad, than we ever expected. Life is always about learning and growing. Good thing God has so much grace......I only wish I had a little more for myself! Really though, fellow moms shouldn't be so quick to give "the look"...you know what I am talking about! :)
Well, we have officially gone private. It took me a while to get all the emails and I am still not sure I have them all. I guess I will find out now. Happy Labor Day weekend to all!
2 comments:
Glad to hear everyone is hopefully on the mend--you didn't mention mom....hope you are all better now too. Sounds like your weekend excursions are a great idea!!! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that has these feelings when my child acts out and I get those withering looks from other moms that make me feel like I'm the worst mother in the world. I thought getting out of the "terrible two's" would help, but we've had even more melt downs at 3!! Anyway, thanks for inviting me to the private blog--your's is absolutely the best one I read and I'd sure miss it if I couldn't lurk. Keep up the great work.
Love,
Jody
It's good to have you updating the blog again. It sounds like you had a very challenging beginning to the new school year - I am glad everyone is on the mend.
And of course Nick is a bit overwhelmed with the new class. I cannot believe he actually has homework! I wouldn't worry about a little acting out. Here throwing your backpack would be considered normal - not even something to comment on.
Stay well!
Love,
Carol
Post a Comment