Saturday, September 15, 2007

Neeeeeear and Faaaaaar!

Nick's new favorite things are opposites. He has learned these mostly from his Elmo big book and his Russian book. He has really grasped these concepts quickly and loves to use an umbrella over his head for dry and to his side for wet. He was doing this out in the rain a few weeks back on a previous blog. He likes to say Low and High with the appropriate voice, In and out, Open and shut (with his eyes) and short and long. Near/ Far is the one that is so amazing. He learned that in the Russian book and was watching a show one day and someone was out in a field and he yelled Far, Far....it took me a minute to figure out what he was saying and then I was like yeah, he is far away....pretty great. He uses Big and little all of the time when comparing trucks, people, animals, whatever but our all time favorite was this morning while having family snuggle time in bed at barely dawn with just a bit of light, he exclaimed "now little dark, not Big dark". It was so cute and priceless. He also keeps learning some spanish from class and was reading a book the other day and pointed to the monkey and said MONO! Yeah. He has also started letting us read to him at bedtime. Before it has been just pointing to pictures and saying what they were but now he wants to hear the story. He will say Mama Talk and if I just point at pics, he will again say, TALK! He will now say Papa's turn and Mama's turn for who he wants to "talk".

We think that Nick is channeling his original Kazak language when he gets mad. He yells out in some very distinct "words" and "phrases" that don't sound like his new english but sound like something. It is hilarious. I think he really thinks we know what he is saying. If we weren't in the midst of some battle when this happens, it would be fun to get on tape and see if anyone could translate. We have seen some progress with him learning restraint....you can actually see him processing whether to hit or not to hit, to bite or not to bite. Some days he chooses wisely, some days not. Most of our battles have been outside the house lately and we are quickly learning the art of public timeouts. I am hoping that much of our lashing out this week has been a result of all the new experiences and that soon he will settle in and just have fun. I have used my extra free time to exercise and clean the house. It is so much easier to clean without a helper.

Pat has reached peak tolerance with toys this week. We just received our Little People town and accessories from my friend Michele in St. Louis. Nick was so excited and I have hopes of large blocks of playtime now....we shall see. Pat allowed only one more purchase earlier this week. We got him his first golf clubs and bag. He has been picking up every stick in the yard and says "golf club" as he proceeds to hit the grass, a rock, etc. So we come home with this great new purchase that I think he must have and Pat puts it together, shows him what to do, then he hits one ball grudgingly and then proceeds to "Mow" the grass with his golf bag. Kids crack me up. GO figure. So, Papa has declared that we need NO MORE TOYS! ;)




The weather has been awesome the past few days and we have had some more park time with friends. Mikey and Nick had a good time several days ago and we got a few cute shots.....not so easy with a 2 year old and a 3 year old.




We have used pictures to talk about places, things, and people since we first met Nick. Most of our family lives out of town and lots of long time friends also. I always beg every year for picture updates from friends and family and with all of Nick's fridge toys, we had run out of space for all of the pics so one of my sweet friends asked what I needed for Nick and I described these great picture holders that I saw at one of my friend's house out of the Leaps and Bounds catalog.


So, yes, I use all of those pics I ask for and yes, keep sending them, we can switch them out. Well, Nick likes for me to hold him and go thru all of the people and the other day, we were looking at the grandparents and I love the way he says his grandpas' names. My dad is Ata Beeeeeell (Bill) and Ata Bob has transformed over the months.....He saw the picture of them and said Grandma Ruuf and MOH! POWYAH! for "more power". It was so funny. I just cracked up. Ata Bob taught him this on the boat over July Fourth and he has used it from then on and now Grandpa has become one with the phrase....kind of like Auntie Rhino. So cute. We are hoping to see all of the grandparents in the next month or so. Nick needs some GP time and I will take the help anytime! ;)
Hope everyone is enjoying the cooler weather, we sure are! I just need to do some more shopping....Not toys, sweetie, just Clothes! Hugs and "keeeeses" to all.








2 comments:

Shannon Sampson said...

Funny that Nick tells you to talk when he wants you to read. Lauren Clay does the same thing: "Mommy, talk!"
Carrie passed along the Boynton opposites book in Spanish... I wonder what Nick would think of that?

The Cook said...

What a darling boy you have. I am going to have to read through the entire blog when I have some more time. I wish you would have been with us too. We had a great time with the other two couples. Thank you for the kind words about Sophie.