Saturday, February 23, 2008

Birthday/one year extravaganza!

What do these 3 extraordinary people have in common...........Birthdays!













I know most of you who have been following our journey know that Nick having my Grandfather Carmon's birthday was what we feel like was a gift from God showing us who was to be our son on that Crazy, Wonderful day in February last year. My sister had been fretting along with us about how we would ever "choose" a child....how could you choose one and reject the other? So, before we left, she made a comment to me that she would just pray that God would give us some obvious or weird sign that we would know.....and she then said...."like Papa Carmon's birthday or something".....well, as you all know, that was the exact day Nick was born on and I was stunned. I remember saying what birthday did you just say for that little boy and she repeated it. I remember thinking well isn't that something and then boom, my sister's comment came rushing back to my jet lagged memory (which is saying alot!) and here we sit one year later, almost feeling that same extreme jet lagged feeling only its because we have been going for 48 hours straight while we celebrated our sweet little boys birthday and our one year anniversary of that momentous bonding period as we became a family.
We have had a great weekend but this is the point where Advil becomes extremely important! I hurt, Pat hurts, even Amigo hurts! There are definite benefits to becoming "older" parents but the fact that our bones and muscles just aren't as young as they used to be is evident tonight! We have been cleaning, moving furniture for the onslaught of toddlers everywhere, shopping, and standing on our feet for hours and hours but all well worth it to put our precious son to bed tonight (early!) and sing Happy Birthday (louder, louder as requested by our son) one last time and send him off to dream land as our newly christened 4 year old!

We started our festivities Thursday night as we filled his room with balloons for an early morning surprise (we borrowed this idea from a new blog friend!). You can't see him but he is snuggled down in his blankets and oblivious!

He actually woke up when it was dark and missed the balloons completely so once the sun came up, I sent him back to his room to his big surprise! He was very excited!


We got dressed and headed out to speech class which unknown to us because we had checked the closed school listings "too" early (was open when we checked) was cancelled due to the ice storm! So, we went to McDonald's instead.......I needed tea and a breakfast treat for making the effort that the whole school district was apparently unable to make! ;) So, we headed home and started opening the presents from all of his out of town family! He got some great stuff and has played with them all. Auntie Tracey scored big with the Pirate Ship! Because he knows of pirates from the veggie tale movie, Jonah. Jonah is also included in his pirate play. It is too funny! Jonah gets thrown overboard often by the pirates. We had a good day playing with all the new toys! Thanks everyone!


We then took him for his birthday meal at the "CC's"...funny story....You know how CC's can be used as code language for Chuckie Cheese when you don't want the always listening child to know where you might go eat because they would be beside them self with excitement. Well, I kept referring to CC's for our dinner plans and then a trip to Sam's and Wal-Mart for party food. My very sweet and very literal minded husband drove us straight to "CiCi's" for dinner. Another chain of pizza places that is close to Sam's also. I got a bit suspicious when he drove past the shorter path to "CC's" and took the long way......now, already in almost 5 years of marriage, I have learned to just let him go the way he wants because my way is not always the only way ;) so I was quiet but then had to laugh when he drove in the "CiCi's" parking lot. He was so bothered by the fact that he did not "get" the code word and yes, we went on to "the Mouse"...our new code word and had a great time but I just had to laugh at how different we think sometimes! We figure it is just a good thing that we laugh about these times instead of bickering.....goodness, we would be bickering all the time then! ;)

We did commincate well the rest of the evening as we shopped until we dropped. I, as usual, over bought but that is just the way we do things in my family. If a little is good, then more is best just in case someone hasn't eaten in 3 weeks or so!
On to the big celebration day......we dressed our little Kazakh up in his traditional outfit and he actually wore his hat for at least part of the day. He was sooooo cute. We called it his Kazakh Crown for his "special day".
Nick did fabulous for the whole day. I don't know if I mentioned how we celebrated all four of his birthdays but basically each hour represented the year birthday (1pm -we celebrated his first birthday, and so on) We had pizza, make your own sundaes, appetizers, and cake! We sang at each hour and he loved getting to blow the candles out. We had to combine 1st and 2nd birthdays so it looked like we were celebrating his 21st birthday! Hee Hee!
He also liked wearing this other hat which he got at school last week. He loved opening presents and would barely let his guests get in the door without taking his gift, dropping down into the floor right there and ripping with extreme passion every little piece of paper off of the gift. We really got some great gifts. We are so excited to go thru and play with all of them tomorrow after church. He did not get nap but did awesome and only had two "moments". One when his little friend Ben wanted to share sprinkles with him and proceeded to shake them all over Nick's ice cream which just about sent him over the edge as he is a true purest when it comes to ice cream.....vanilla and plain, no toppings, please! And, then he and his fellow Kazakh buddy butted heads over a great garbage truck toy but we resolved it without any blood flow! Our only regret is that we were so busy with our 69 guests (!!!!!) over 4 hours that we did not get as many pics as we would have liked. But, we have the memories and feel so blessed that so many of our friends and family wanted to share this special day with us. It was awesome! We even had two waiting families come play with us that will be going to get their kazakh cuties in just a few months! We are so excited for them and glad they like to come play with us!
OK, now the important stuff.....THE CAKE ROCKED! It was sooooo cute and oh, my goodness, good! I will use this lady forever! He loved his rocket cake and we did too!
I like this next picture of him from the back as a little Kazakh cutie eating a post party snack. An apple! He then ate a banana! He was making up for all of the "junk" that we had all day! Glad we ended the day with a more healthy choice! We all crashed on the couch and watched some Dora to get him nice and calmed down and then bathtime and bed, heavenly bed.....which is where dad is already gone and I am close behind.....We are going to be a sight to see at the early service tomorrow.
Thought I would leave you with a family photo! We only took one and I think considering how tired we are and how un-napped Nick was, we look like a pretty happy one year old family, don't you think!?
Oh, and I mentioned that even Amigo hurts....well, he is exhausted from obsessively running around under every table and chair, every room, etc. trying to find all of the dropped children's snacks. Crazy dog!
We are so blessed by this boy and can't wait to share many, many more birthday celebrations with him (maybe just a little less big and long!) LOL!

13 comments:

Aaron and Julie said...

Happy Birthday Weekend to Nick and happy one year as a family :) Yay!

I loved reading your post about the birthday celebrations - and can related to missed 'code' words :)

I'm glad so many people shared in the fun. The family photo is awesome.

Tami said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NICK!!! I'm so glad he enjoyed the balloons. What a great birthday! :)

Susan said...

Hey,

What an interesting year!! I have really enjoyed keeping up with it all. I don't comment as often as I should, but I have kept up with the blog. What a difference in Nick. Thanks for inviting us to the party, we really enjoyed it. Hope you have taken the day to recouperate.

Susan

Kristina said...

I thin that should be your new family picture in the corner of your blog! I feel like I was there and with all those people you sure didn't miss us! If I were driving to "The Mouse" that would be Disney!!! Maybe instead of CC it could be CEC but that is a hilarious story, we just bicker -- and I tell him my way to go, I haven't learned in six years of marriage! Pray for me (maybe who you should really pray for is Bobby!) K

Stacy said...

Oh He is so cute!!!! Happy birthday Nick!! I hope we get to meet you real soon!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, again, to Nick! We were honored to be a part of the celebration of his birthday and of your first year together as a family. Hope you all are well rested and having a good week!

Jody and Rich said...

Looks like a GREAT birthday for Nick!! What a lucky little boy to have such great parents. We're so sorry we couldn't make it--we obviously missed the event of the year. I second the comments about the great family picture--it's great. Also the pics of Nick in his Kazak outfit are precious. Give us a call when you get rested up so Haylie can bring Nick his birthday present.
Jody

Carol said...

Happy Birthday to all of you - to Nick for his 4 years on this earth, and to Pat and Karen also for your year together as a family. And what a wonderful year it has been! I am so glad to have had the opportunity to meet Nick, and to be able to share the daily progress on your blog.

I can't wait to see what the next year will bring!
Love,
Carol

Shannon Sampson said...

What a wonderful blog... I've not been reading blogs in a while because i've been swamped with work (and I know that once I get started reading blogs, I will get sucked in!)
Lauren Clay and I have enjoyed reading your blog this morning, and (as usual) I'm all teary after reading your entries. We love the video of Nick telling his story!!
Thanks for the coffee punch, by the way-- we have had a glass every night. Not good for the waistline, but great for the palate! Lauren Clay woke up this morning asking about her friend Nick... let's get together to play soon!

Regina said...

Happy birthday to sweet Nick! That's a fabulous family photo on the bottom of this post. And I love the video in the previous one. He is so cute!!!

May you have many more happy birthdays together. :-)

junglemama said...

Happy Birthday Nick. I love the balloon idea Karen. What a cool surprise.

Jason and Rebecca said...

Happy (belated) birthday to Nick! What an adorable little guy he is and that is a beautiful family shot! It sounds like it was a wonderful celebration and worth all the energy it took. ;) Btw, I am TOTALLY stealing your idea of celebrating all 4 birthdays! I was so excited when I read that! What an awesome idea! I need to start planning.
Rebecca

Kristina said...

I noticed the new picture -- looks good, don't you think? K