Monday, February 18, 2008

Nick's "story"

Nick has been trying to tell his story this week. He first started saying that he was "lost" in Kazakhstan waiting for us to find him after watching a few Diegos and Doras....they are always helping lost animals find their mama and daddy. So I guess he just assumed that this is what happened to him also. So, the other day, he was talking about us coming to "azakan" and calling it his "story". So Cute. So the video was an attempt to catch the story and as a typical 3 year old would do, he started being silly. After many takes, some with good parts and some with craziness. This one had the least amount of silliness. Ha! The remote is the airplane that mom and dad flew to come get him and somehow we flew to the rainbow also and when it sounds like he is saying "catch" ....he is saying "get"......I think you can figure most of it out. I just think it is so cute when he says he was lost. He usually is a bit more dramatic and he will also usually say that we came to get him at the "azakan baby house" but couldn't quite catch all of that in one video. We will continue to try and get the whole story! ;) We are still getting party ready...I am in a bit of denial.....whenever I have lots to get done, I usually choose to do nothing....life long problem.....and I have a 3 almost 4 year old that gets back out or messes up anything that I have just cleaned up! You all know what I mean!





As we are progressing down memory lane, I thought I would show some pics of Nick's sleeping transitions......we are enjoying the fruits of our patient/not so patient labor at getting Nick to feel at home and safe in his bed....It took us 9 months to get him to that point but it was so worth it to have him be at peace at bedtime.



This was probably the first or second day in our apartment. He looks so stressed even in his sleep. We had many stressful sleep issues in those first few weeks. Luckily, he only had Night terrors for 2 or 3 nights; the rest of the nights, he just didn't want to go to sleep.


This was in our last Zhez apartment and shows what our motto became....let him sleep where ever he lands and with whatever he has on. Clothes, no clothes, bed, floor, etc. Pat was amazed that you could actually dress a naked child once he collapses in exhaustion after screaming for hours.





We discovered this one a few days after we got home. I walked in his room to check on him and grabbed the camera. He slept so wild for the first few months. We kept him on a full mattress in the floor because all we could see was him flying off of a bed and getting a head injury. Although it looks like he could have gotten one here too! We had rails on the floor mattress after this episode. Cute though, isn't it!



Now finally after 10 long months of sleeping with him, trading turns getting up in the night with him, and basically getting little sleep......Here is our son, the sleeping cutie.....We found this pose last night....as if he was saying all is good in the world and I am just chillin out. He is sleeping great. We put him down with lots of hugs and kisses and routine, and he falls asleep with the door open and never calls out or gets up......occasionally, he is still awake when we head to bed and he will try and pretend to be asleep although the big grin on his face gives him away every time. But, it is good sleep for all now!




And, last but not least is a hard to read and belated Valentine's greeting to all!

8 comments:

The Highley Family said...

How precious your boy is! Your blogs can always make me tear up. Hopefully, we can find our "lost" little girl someday.

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

I'm with the Highley's ... I have learned not to read your entries when I know I have to compose myself quickly! He is SOOOO adorable, and it is just so hard to imagine that this talkative, innovative, creative little being was so shy and quiet when you met him. God is definitely working through Pat and you. I LOVED your comment about all of the stuff you swore you'd never do (or feed him, etc.), and how you are just going with the flow when you need to. I also know, Karen, that you continue to be an amazing support and inspiration for those who either have or will adopt toddlers. We are so grateful for your sharing. I hope you will blog forever, and I can't wait to continue to hear Nick tell his own stories. I wish we could be at the party (separate email to follow!). K&G.

Kristina said...

The video is great. It is amazing how they relate their tv shows to their life. Love all the pictures of him sleeping, and you can tell just by his face how at home he is now. What a great story and how wonderful that you are recording all of this for him. You are a natural at this stuff! K

Matthew Ruley said...

Thank you for sharing! Nick is a cutie pie and I love his LOST story. Thank you for sharing - love the upside down sleeping too!

Jason and Rebecca said...

Wow, what a post! I love love love it...and you know why. :) I am totally encouraged by the sleep story. I do have to say that 9 months sounds like a long time since we've only been home 3 weeks...but I know there is light at the end of the tunnel whether it comes in 9 weeks, 9 months, or longer.

I just adore that video of him! He is so cute and full of so much personality! He seems like he's doing great with his English. Does he speak any Russian any more (or did he ever speak much Russin?)?

And I would have to agree with the post above that you have already been a wonderful source of support and encouragement to me and I'm sure many others!

Tracey Kitzman said...

Thanks for sharing Nick's birthday with us. I love the "CC" story. Oh, my adorable, yet very literal family. Grandpa Bob still doesn't really get the irony of his frequent failure to catch irony. At least it makes our stories about having to walk 5 miles uphill (both ways) in a snow storm to make it to school a bit more believable, although it sounds like Karen has one up on most of the fair weather parents in KY.

Nick looked amazing in his Kazak outfit. What a wonderful posting.

Auntie Tracey

The Cook said...

Okay that video was priceless. He also looks so cute in Kazakh outfit. You know at kazapalooza on Friday night the kids are going to wear their outfits to the pizza party...I can't wait to see them all.

Anonymous said...

Karen, this is a precious young man! We adopted 2 children when we were young and enjoyed raising them.....ours were from Sellers Baptist Adoption Center in New Orleans....one in 1968 and one in 1971(Lori Jean Blanscet--the one you know). Children are truly a "special blessing" and especially "chosen children"! God bless you on your journey to raising a beautiful "chosen" son.