Saturday, September 13, 2008

and then there was the locker incident

We had a great week starting school and BSF. Nick was thrilled to go to both and went into his classrooms with great confidence and absolutely no hesitation. I have several friends that have first day of school traditions so I stole one for our family. We had pancakes made into a "P" for preschool. He thought they were fun and started his day off right with a good breakfast!
Last year, I could tell that many of his "art" projects were made by the teachers because Nick did not want to do crafts. Just in our first week, I can already tell that he is doing his coloring and gluing....very exciting!





We took our first day of school picture at the garden next to the school but he slipped and got water on his shorts so he was in no mood to take a picture. :)


We had a playdate with my allergist/friend Jody and her daughter Haylie along with our new friends Kim, Eli and Ava. We all adopted with the same agency and are, shall we say...."mature" first time mothers! Eli and Ava are the newest arrivals and have incredible stories of their own. We had a great time talking and Jody was a much better photographer and has pictures on her blog.( click here to go to her post)




We seem to post more often about our bad first experiences with Nick as he learns about new things but we have now started the adventure into the "second" times for several activities and we started with a great success. The school carnival was a disaster last year with screaming and biting/hitting as he was totally over stimulated and we had to sit in the car waiting as daddy finished our "preschool parent" duty at one of the booths. This year was awesome. He had a great time actually enjoying all of the activities.



My proudest moment was the waiting in line success. He stood with his friends and waited his turn and played the games with such 4 yr old maturity that I was almost teary because of the great strides he has made over the last year and a half!



Look how orderly he is......anyone who is around him for a minute knows that this took such inner fortitude for him to stand this calmly! ha!

I am excited to see how he does in more preschool activities this year. If he can keep from getting in trouble for talking this year, I will feel like we have had a fabulous year!
FUNNY NICK STORIES
Nick loves Pringles. When they have a good sale at the store, I will usually get him some. Dad bought some the other day and brought them home and Nick quickly claimed them as his own .....at least, in his head. Nick and I had gone to the pool for a swim and came home and Daddy was already home from work. We said our hellos and proceeded to throw some trash away. Nick immediately saw the can in the trash can and asked why the can was in there.....he remembered that there was still a few left from his last "snack". Daddy proceeded to say that he had finished them for a snack. Nick was so disgusted....."I told you one chip, not 5 chips" so daddy said I am sorry that I ate them all and Nick said. "I (for) give you, sometimes things happen"..... It was so cute! Although he continued to be a little obsessed about the fact that "his" chips were gone and proceeded to tell us that we needed to go to the store "tomayo" to buy some more.
AND THEN THERE WAS THE LOCKER INCIDENT
We were again at the pool. As we pack up our things in the dressing room, Nick always plays in the lockers. He loves to pretend that they are cages, caves, rockets, etc. I figure at least I know where he is...... I usually have a combination lock that he uses as his pretend clock and/or timeout timer. Tonight, we had daddy's key lock. While I was putting the towels away, he grabbed the lock and I really didn't think much about it but as usual, our son has been a little too observant and knew how to use it. In no less than 1 minute, he had put the lock on the locker and closed it, stepped in the locker and proceeded to pull the door shut with yes, you guessed, the key in his hand. He was laughing and having a grand ole time and I turned around to see the locked lock and said Nick, where is the key? "In here mommy" For some reason, I did not panic but felt compelled to tell the lady in the area with us what he had done as I proceeded to calmly walk out side the dressing room to the hall and tell Pat what "HIS" son had done and could he please go ask for the bolt cutters. So, I come back and start tugging at the door to see if there is a gap anywhere and Nick is telling me to open the door and I am trying not to get a big case of the giggles (what kind of mom am I?) Pat knocks on the door and hands me the bolt cutter and I proceed (with the other moms help) to break the lock. Nick is kind of confused inside but never really panicked. When we broke it loose, he stepped out and kind of hugged me and I promptly sent him out to his dad while I packed up our stuff. The other mom said wow, this is a baby book moment and I said yes, for us it is definitely a bloggable moment. We returned the bolt cutters and chuckled out the door to the car.
Life with Nick is NEVER boring! :)

10 comments:

The Majors said...

What a brave little peanut! (and a brave mommy too) Those little boys move so quick - huh? Keep us on our toes.

Kristina said...

Karen! Oh my! I am in stitches! Thanks for the pictures from the game. I have not read blogs probably since school started. How things change. See you tomorrow, K

Jody and Rich said...

I'm so glad to hear school is going well. I cannot believe you remained so cool, calm, and collected throughout the locker incident...I'm impressed!! It's a hilarious story!!
Jody

Julie, Tim, and Peyton said...

you have experienced one of my biggest YMCA fears. i, too, have a key lock and peyton loves to play in the lockers while i am getting ready. thanks for sharing and being the role model of calmness. i would have been screaming for someone to help!

junglemama said...

Yeah! Things sound like they are going better!

keoghclan said...

I love to catch up on your blog. Because Nick is a year older than our Orin I always feel you can help us 'know' what to expect ahead :-) I am so so glad to hear the over stimulation issues have calmed down. We have them big time with Orin. We have left many places because of him just not being able to handle the stimulation (normally ends in him in tears and me not far behind!!!)

The locker incident cracks me up, (good for you not loosing it!!) As for the disgust at the chips being finished........that it hilarious. Nick reminds me so much of Orin. I would seriously love to get them together at some stage. Are you going to Kazapalooza next year? We are seriously considering it. (long drive though but we will
see) Our recent funny story is Orin started (and finished) a trampoline and tumbling class for boys at our Ashlings gymnastic club. He was so excited and ran in!! Well it lasted 10 minutes until he came out with a big mad face saying......'I no like it' I go home now' I tried to talk him him into going back in and let him sit in the viewing area to play for a while but everytime I tried to get him back to the class he very calmly said 'no thank you!!' finally Vitali the head coach from Russia came out to try and get Orin to join the class again.....my little devil said very calmly (and clearly I may add!!) .....' no thank you Mammy, I no like her, her drive me insane!!!" I was mortified..... what a time for our Orins speech to explode!!! A mortified Mammy here took her son home......and despite us asking him numerous times did he want to go back - it has not worked!!

Patience Lord, Patience!!

Kristan and Mark said...

hey, haven't been around in a while due to moving and computer woes.

How neat to meet another blogger friend and Kaz mommy! Awesome!
Don't seem to be too many in my area, which is kind of a bummer.

So glad to hear Nick is doing better with things the second time around! He's growing and maturing along with growing more confident in his world. Wonderful!!

Em said...

What a sweet family. Karen, can I get your email address?

Aaron and Julie said...

Ben has that monkey plate, too :) I love the P pancake idea!! So glad Nick is doing well with school & BSF. Ben loves it and keeps asking when we can go back to 'church'. I am volunteering in the children's program this week, so I am excited to see what it is all about.

Matthew Ruley said...

Wow on the locker incident! Sounds like something our little A would do. YOU are brave and calm. I would be crazy! Maybe I'm already crazy, who knows.

Glad to hear things are calming down. Its tough, isn't it?!