Monday, December 15, 2008

Its the hap, happiest season of all.......

Nick has been a joy to be around this Holiday season. He has enjoyed every aspect of Christmas so far this year. He is singing carols, talking about Santa, wishing everyone a "Merry Christmas" and just generally being a cutie patootie. He loved putting ornaments on the tree and carefully plotted out each place.




Below he is hanging his yurt ornament from Kaz! We didn't come home with many souvenirs but we did get some!





He wanted to hang them up high and I just love this sweet picture of him hanging an ornament.






We worked hard on a Christmas card picture.....this is one of the outtakes....the dog was actually more uncooperative than Nick! :)





Tonight was the great debate.....Here in the almost south, a hint of winter weather coming can shut the city down but it could be like the boy crying wolf....so Pat being a Northerner decided to brave the "storm of the century" (this is really what it sounded like on TV) and we won! There was no precip whatsoever.... a little on the way home but nothing yet....It is still early....I am surprised school is not cancelled already. I really wanted that 3 hours tomorrow to finish up Christmas but it is not looking good......but I digress.....





Nick was so excited about going to the light display and to see Santa and the trains. It was truly PRICELESS! I found myself getting all teary and wanting to BOO HOO as we walked up to the building. It always gets to me at times like these when he expresses such pure joy and delight. For some reason my mind just wonders back to the little quiet boy with the serious look....no smile unless you tickle him.....and now, we couldn't suppress a smile even if we tried. He meets life head on now and brings joy and big Hugs to everyone he meets. I have struggled so much with the Christmas holidays since we have returned from Kaz. I just can't stand the commercialism and the craziness of consumerism. Frankly, it disgusts me now. I know that is harsh for a feel good season but we as a people need to get a grip. I always describe how I feel as the main character, Schindler from "Schindlers list" at the end where he is despairing over the fact that if he had just sold one more thing, not bought this, or not done that, he could have saved just one more life, he could have done more. That is how it is with me now....EVERYTHING equates to what the money we waste COULD be doing; Orphans could find homes, the homeless could be clothed and sheltered, the hungry could be fed but instead we buy the next biggest and best and most popular of the season. I can't look at my son's smile and the twinkle in his eye without thinking what a crime that is.....Truly learning more about the love of God thru the adoption of our son is the best gift we could have ever been given for the rest of our lives. Hearing him laugh, tell big stories, request a family hug, and say I love you mom will be the stocking stuffers that I cherish for eternity. So, maybe that is why I was weepy tonight, who knows, but I do know what sweet joy sounds like thanks to my son and my sweet and brave husband who weathered the great ice storm of 2008 (not) to have some great family time. So now, after all that pontificating, enjoy my boy's excitement and say a prayer for his "brothers and sisters" in Zhezkazgan tonight that they may find the same joy some day.






They have a great train display and Nick could have watched them all night....so could Pat!








This was the village display. If you click on the pic for a close up, you can see his excitement!



We took a little mini train ride and it was hard to keep him sitting!


He kept screaming CHOO CHOO and pulling on his pretend whistle!


He was so excited to meet Santa this year. Last year, he would run away scared to death. He couldn't wait to tell Santa what he wanted......Tougher and his train from GEOTRAX. Sure hope Santa can find them.........He was also requesting a winning season for the Packers next year!


So, for a first visit with Santa, I think it went pretty well....What do you think?



We have his school Christmas party on Thursday and I am so excited to see him sing this year. He has been singing along with the Christmas songs on the radio so I think they have been learning some of the classics at school! So sweet! We head to TX on Saturday and hope the weather cooperates as we travel south. Hoping to see some friends in St. Louis and the Segebarths of Two Hearts for Hope on our way down. We hope everyone has a wonderful joy and love filled Christmas and we pray that God will make Himself known to you in a real way thru the love of friends and family. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU!

6 comments:

Jody and Rich said...

He is sooooo adorable and I'm so glad he's really into the season this year--can't wait till Haylie gets to that point. I totally agree with you about the whole commercialism thing...guess I sometimes feel like Scrooge but it sure seems like a HUGE waste of time, effort and money sometimes!! The pictures are priceless--that is what having kids and Christmas is really all about. Have a great trip and Holiday season.
Love,
Jody

Karen said...

Oh my gosh, I love that photo of Nicholas pretending to be a train conductor. So sweet. I'm totally with you with all the commercialism. It's way overdone and it makes feel me/people guilty that I'm/they're not "giving/spending" enough. Although Bob and I vowed not to give each other gifts this year. Then Bob goes ahead and surprises me with new windows in our bedroom (our second floor bedroom is so cold and the windows were original from the early 50's, so they were drafty as heck). Of course then I felt compelled to buy him a wii game console (something he's been wanting for three years). Oh well, t'is the season.

Merry Christmas!!!!

Anonymous said...

He is just adorable!!!

junglemama said...

He is so cute! It is wonderful to read about your family.

Carol said...

I loved your soapbox speech!!! You are 100% right - it is really all about that joyous smile on your son's face. What you and Pat have accomplished is incredible, and even more wonderful is that you recognize the beauty of it.

Enjoy all of your family during this holiday season.
Love, Carol

Shannon Sampson said...

hi! I figured everyone would have given up on our blog by now... you're so very faithful to check (and to comment.) thanks for your note! The polar express train leaves from Bardstown. It's the My Old Kentucky Dinner Train. It's great; we'll definitely do it again next year!