Monday, February 9, 2009

Leavin on a jet plane.........

Two years ago today (the 9th), we left for Kazakhstan with big dreams and an uncertain path. If we had gaged everything by our first day, we surely would have returned home......let's recap..


1. The airline did us a "favor" by booking us on an earlier flight. Little did we know that we would literally have minutes to run with the heavy laden carry ons to our gate in Detroit. We arrived breathless and were greeted not so friendly as they were "waiting for us". Then, we proceed thru the check point from Hell. Barney Fife TSA guy decides to grill us about how we can be cheated in these other countries and did we do a Tax report thing for our money since we were carrying enough money for two little ones. Since, we had gotten the money out of several different banks, no one bank gave us over the amount to warrant these forms. We assured him that we had not gone over and if we did, it was only from the few "gift" checks that we had cashed that day. Well, he decided that he wanted to frisk us and count it. The lady TSA agent was rolling her eyes and telling him that we were holding the flight up but he was having none of it. The airline people were raisin there voices at him and on, and on it went until he and the woman had counted the money and we filled out said form.

2. We are rushed onto the plane where of course there is no overhead exept those really high ones in the middle. Pat was somewhere far away in the plane and they sent me to the front where the flight attendent would not help me put it up because he hurt his arm?? I had just had hand surgery for a broken hand in Oct and well, you ladies know how you pack those bags for Kaz (all that toilet paper you need??), I could not lift it up over my head (only 5'2"!) and NO ONE was offering to help. I was livid. Finally someone offered.

3. Go to our seats. Their "favor" had put us in two different rows but one behind the other. No Biggie. BUT, in our delay, some man (not American) had decided that he wanted to sit by his wife so he took one of our seats. He would NOT get up. The attendent was telling him to move and he would not. So besides, bodily moving him, she was stumped. So then she asked the lady next to me if she would take this man's seat across the way....same aisle seat, just across the way, but she would NOT! I could not believe it. Close to tears at this point....questioning the whole adoption...you know how it goes.... :) She was obnoxious the whole flight. I forced my way into the seat and took the arm rest for the entire 8-9 hours (whatever it was) . She was not getting any comfort from me.
4. Amsterdam.....a great airport for the most part. KLM not my favorite. I digress for a moment, in the Ky airport, our peanut butter was confiscated....I totally forgot that this looks like explosive putty. I specifically asked them if contact solution would be allowed because I had all of my stash in my carry on. They said it was considered a medical supply so yes. Well, fast forward, to Amsterdam. I attempted although not a big effort to find agents that could tell me what their rules were for solution. I could not find any to help. So to the line we went. I found an agent at that door and asked, she said no, you can't take it on. I said so what am I supposed to do. Check the bag. I said, I can't get back thru customs and such in time. Can't I just check it at the plane like you do in the states....nope. We can't do this.....why not. There is the plane, the door is open, can't you just tag it and put it on? Nope. So I had to throw away 5 bottles of brand new cleaner and saline solution in the trash. I was crying so hard that I was trembling....I was tired and a mess. Poor Pat...




5. We arrived in Almaty and THANKFULLY, all went smoothly. We weren't quite sure what to expect after that 20+ hour rollercoaster ride. As we arrived at the Hotel Kazzhol we were ushered up to our room and were presented with two of the smallest little beds I have ever seen. Didn't care, we collapsed. BUT, not before we called the daughter of Pat's family friends whos family lives in Almaty. Her husband answered and we told him the short story of our exploits and he replied...oh, Kirsten uses that type of solution! What are the chances! I use the AOsept cleaning system and it is not the "norm". It was as if God was just saying calm down, I'm here, I even got the little things covered. It was so comforting that we slept well and knew that Come He!! or bad airline service, we would be with our child in less than 24 hours. All in All it was a good day and the first day of the rest of our shakin up, turned around, upside down Great adventure to Nurbolat (Nick).


AND, 2 whole years later....where does the time go??? ......we celebrated the day today by heading to the Capital to get our 2nd post adoption report Apostilled for delivery. I think I am probably the only person that loves to get things Apostilled. It is by far the easiest part of the paperwork process for us and I love the way it finishes the document off. I know, I'm weird but I just enjoy the officialness of it all.




And, finally, we made some cookies the other day as Nick is into helping these days. At first I thought the whole process was going to be scary as he was melting down over not being able to decide himself how much of the ingredients to put in (it gave me an idea for a future "life" lesson project though) but he rallied in the end and we had a great time and he was thrilled to present daddy with the cookies when Pat got home from Bible Study.



oh, and did I mention that he lost another tooth. The neighbor to the first one that got knocked out. The permanent one is already growing in.....probably some more not far behind.
Nick's number 5 birthday is quickly approaching. We had decided we would not do the party thing and maybe go to Cinci to the indoor water park and the aquarium. Well, wouldn't you know it, ALL week he has been talking about having a "surprise" party and everyone is going to jump out and surprise him and then he will blow out the number 5 candle on his train cake?? I keep talking about swimming to change his mind.....although a train cake is doable.
We shall see...... :)

6 comments:

Kim said...

OH MY GOODNESS! I can't believe those people would not move for you. What the hell! I would have cried. That is just insane! Happy Anniversary. I love the cookie pictures. It's great when they can help out!

I love to see the documents apostilled too. One step closer. :)

keoghclan said...

Hey girly girl. Congratulations on your two year anniversary. I remember so well you guys being in kaz. I always LOVED the humour you used in your blog (even though any of us who have been there know some of the things that happened were not very humourous at the time!!) I am so so jealous of the photos with no snow!! Turning into an obsessed woman here in Canada - such a cold, snowy winter here and so so long. We have had above zero for the last few days which is helping to melt some snow but I just know it is not so over.

Mary

PS. Just did mapquest for Kazapalooza......we are thinking of Dayton, Ohio or Louisville, Kentucky for our stopover..opinions please. It is 13 hours total drive for us from Toronto and we will leave here Thursday morning, stopping over Thursday night and hope to get to Nashville on Friday afternoon. Very excited to meet all.

Joanne & Andy said...

it is hard to believe that it has been 2 years, my husband and I were just talking about that because it is almost 2yrs for us, March 12th! it seems that our Nicholas has been with us forever and it has only been a short 2yrs. Time flies! My Nic likes to help bake cookies also, though mostly he plays with the measuring cups, and now Jacob has to be right up there also, lots of fun!!

Kristan and Mark said...

I agree, where does tht time go??

Indoor waterpark, aquarium, how fun, but he wants a surprise party at 5. that's actually really cute!

Karen said...

OMG your flight over was as much a nightmare as ours was. Thank goodness that's well behind you. Congratulations on making it to the two mark.

And how about them birthday plans? Surprise party—how funny is that? Your little Nick has it all planned out. Maybe you need to have two parties this year—the one in Cincy and another surprise party at home. I love birthdays—they beat all other holidays. Can't wait to see what you decide.

Aaron and Julie said...

Wow - I remember reading your posts from last year celebrating 1 year - where DOES the time go? Love the cookies :) Nick & Ben seem alike in so many ways - just a year apart. Your valentine's day post made me cry. We have a picture similar with Aaron & Ben looking out the window & I swear we have the same snowsuit.

Enjoy this time of memories & reflection!!!