Thursday, September 27, 2012

One Month as a family of 5

I can't believe tomorrow will be 5 weeks that the littles have been a part of our family.  As when Nick entered our family, we don't have that whole "it feels like they have always been here" feeling.  I really don't get that....but what I do know is boy, have our lives changed and I can honestly say it is so crazy and so fun.

The last two weeks were undoubtedly the craziest of our new life so far.  We had a few standing scheduled things that we "chose" to keep even after the babies came. My parents had offered to come when we needed them the most and wow!, were they ever needed.  Needless to say, there will be very few extra curricular activities planned for a bit as we go forward into October. Seriously, it was painful.  All kids survived thanks to team Kitzman plus Gma and Gpa.

The littles are changing everyday.  Our only regret that life has gotten in the way of good video documentation of all that they have accomplished in such a short time.  I wish everyone could have the experience of watching children blossom from a hard beginning.  It is truly one of the best gifts given to us by God in this process.

Sarah - When she came to us, she basically squealed and had an ambulance-esque type whine.  While cute, I now think the ambulances that pass our neighborhood often could be S and I hear it in my sleep.  One month later, she still has some crazy sounds but I swear she says a new word every few hours.  She is getting her voice and language to boot.  She reminds us so much of Nick when he came home.  Funny, when we say that, Nick just puffs up and is so proud.

She is still not gaining weight.  Very frustrating but I know she is eating and she looks so much better so I think her increase in mobility has used up all the extra calories I have been packing in.  She is so picky and stubborn about eating (Nick clone). She will eat something one day and then spit it out the next.  She definitely has texture and chewing problems that we are trying to work on and she generally likes pureed consistency.  She has learned quickly to sign Eat and More. 

She is motoring around all the furniture and loves to walk with help.  I hope she starts walking soon so she is not so hard on  her scrawny knees and then she can wear more dresses or tights and long shirts.  Regular pants just won't stay up on her yet. 

Abe - He has definitely made the most physical progress and is almost sitting up on his own and finally bearing weight on his legs.  We have this little game where I try to stand him up and then do a scrunched up face and say push it push it like a drill Sergeant and he gets a similar face and actually uses his legs.  Hilarious.  He rolls everywhere and generally frustrated Gma because he wouldn't stay on the nice soft blanket we layed out.  He is feeding himself cheerios now (we call it the ninja reach) and chews and manipulates his food better than S.

He rarely cries and had Gpa Bill as his biggest fan.  They had some mean motor boat raspberries going at anytime during the day.  He even could do it as a duet with dad.  Kind of a dueling raspberry  performance.  Abe can practically charm anyone with his smile.  He had an MRI of his spine since he is barely sitting up and the nurses were fighting over him for a chance to hold him.  He is just so charming......watch out girls of the future!

They both love music now and get so animated when I put the kids music on during the day.  One of the many awesome transformations we have watched is their interaction with each other.  They love to hug each other and give kisses. They had no reaction to each other at first. Now, they babble together much like twins and really have begun to form a sweet little bond.

Nick - He is an amazing big brother.  He loves the littles so much.  He often will just say, I love having them in our family.  I can't tell you what an answer to prayer this is.  We had such huge concerns about how siblings would affect him that we were almost ready to not adopt again.  God continues to amaze us with such a wonderful fit for him.  He did know him best and he did know exactly what Nick needed....why don't we just trust and obey without any doubt of this...not sure.   Of course, he still has some huge moments of drama but he also is distracted often with the kids so he doesnt dwell as long on his "issues".

Funniest Nick-ism of the month....  While  the Gparents were here, we sat in the living room one night and he had been a little grumpy about all the attention the littles get when we go out and then all the support they need at home so he said "mom, I sure miss being the star"  I said, well, there are lots of stars in the sky and they are all great.  He said, "mom not that kind of star, a POP star." imagine with a "duh" voice.  " I miss being the famous one"   and Pat said "more like infamous!" ;)

Papa and MiMi (our names for now)  - we are doing really well.  I think my out of shape self is getting a little more adjusted and not as many sore muscles as when we started.  We are enjoying our new family so much. One of my favorite times is when we all gather on our big king-size bed and hangout.  Nick is able to really feel a part at these times and it just all clicks.  The littles just belly laugh at him all the time and he eats it up.  One night after all had gone to bed, Pat just said, you know as crazy as this all is, I just feel the most at peace than I have felt in a long time.  I would have to agree.  As I told my BSF group today, it is crazy to me that we stepped into the unknown and thus far I really have never felt as held, as at peace, and as joyful as I do right now.  We have laughed so much in the last month.  I go to bed every night completely spent and exhausted and not sure how we are going to get organized and efficient but really it doesn't matter because we are in a great place right now and our priority is just loving them all and making sure that they know how precious and wonderful they are, all three.  We feel very blessed to have this opportunity to parent regardless of the outcome.

We visit biomom every week and again this is a very awkward thing but also a good reminder that they are not ours and the future is in God's hands.  We had friends recently go thru a horrific car accident involving their 18 yr old son.  Praise God he survived and is home and doing rehab but his accident happened pretty much right when we were getting the kids and God again just reminded me thru their journey that not one of us is promised or assured of parenting our children for X amount of time.  We have expectation that they will do XYZ for life and so on and so on.  It could be taken in a moment.  So daily living and relying on God to lead has been my goal to make it thru this time of uncertainty.  I really dont even think about it ....we just live.

My folks left on Sunday so we are back to Team Kitzman and they are missed and somehow the laundry doesn't just show up folded and on our bed.... Stink.   But it is fun when S recognized my dad's voice on the phone.  We really have to get skype on our new computer so we can do better face time chatting especially with all the changes they are making.  Mom and Dad even noticed how much they changed in the two weeks they were here.

I just really wish I could show you before and now pics even in a month.  just amazing! but here are a few to enjoy...


The hair flower of happiness.  Bigger than her head practically but she still rocks it! ;)

 
Who doesn't love sweet baby hands!


Holding Abe and getting some love

Hugging on Sarah....



We have had lots of Dr. visits in this first month but all tests so far have come back normal.  They really just need intervention and intentional grace-filled parenting.  First steps is sending a PT soon and we have seen a speech therapist and dietitian.  I think we have a few more dr visits ahead but otherwise, they are doing great.

Probably going to take a little visit to our OT that Nick has used for Sensory eval... the sooner we start a good sensory diet the better off they will be in the long run.

Well, my eyes are tearing up they are so tired so off I go to bed.  Will try to update as much as possible but feel free to come by and visit....  The Kitzman 5  :)

3 comments:

Kristan said...

The look on Nick's face speaks more than words ever could. I am just so happy for each one of the kitzman five! You are so inspiring.

minime0910 said...

I am sooo happy for you guys!! What a fantastic update on all their progress. They seem to be thriving in your care :-) Can't wait to see those sweet faces!! XOXO Erin

Pam said...

Shedding major tears of joy for you all. Much love and big hugs to the Kitzmans.