Tuesday, July 16, 2013

It's all Good.

We are one week post surgery and besides the total torture of not lifting my littles ( I still have another week to go), it's all good.  Anesthesia kicked my tush as usual and I was very sick for the remainder of the surgery day but once all of it was gone out of my system, I felt pretty good.  My underarm incision bugs me the most and it's all sore but to be expected.  I didn't take any pain meds but advil so the pain has been very minimal. So thankful. AND you cannot rest with 3 kids, enough said.

I had my post op visit with final pathology report today and all margins and lymph nodes are clear microscopically for metastasis. We are so grateful that we have had the best results possible for the situation.  I have an appointment with the radiation oncologist next week to get the radiation scheduled.  I am a candidate for a research study that gives a 3 week or 5 week radiation course so we will investigate that further because, well, we do like to help out those UK researchers (wink) so we can make it a top 20 hospital. Ideally, I would like to start radiation as soon as school starts back for Nick so we have one less child to worry about as far as childcare and schedules. I don't think it will be a problem but we shall see. While I did not expect them to recommend it, I was still relieved that we have the no Chemo affirmation because that really would have been a scheduling nightmare with all the littles' therapies and appts.  I will also start Tamoxifen therapy which is an Estrogen suppressor therapy. Because my cancer type is extremely estrogen hungry , if you suppress the estrogen, in theory, you will stop the cells from replicating....yes, please.  So that treatment is 5 years. So, all in all, best case scenario for a cancer patient. My favorite part of this journey is that I am considered "young" , as an older mom of young children, and I feel my age often after a long day,  the fact that they keep saying that I am so "young" for this cancer, and "young" this and "young" that has been good for the soul. ha!

My family has been here since the day before surgery.  We think this is quite possibly the longest time we have all been together in years. (we had just been with them for almost 2 weeks in TX  for Kazapalooza)  They all leave tomorrow, they are all so happy. ;)  I cannot tell you how organized my house is....everyone's nervous energy was to my benefit for sure. Much thanks, love and gentle side hugs go out to my Mom, Dad, Sister, Niece and Nephew (who will especially not miss screeching one year olds and Drama Llama Lou 2 year olds).  I will probably not miss all the chaos but I will definitely miss having them close by. Thank you family from all of us!

Thanks also to all of you who have sent cards and gift cards, FB well wishes, and texts.  It's overwhelming and just plain sweet to get so much love.  I feel so blessed to know and love so many great people all over the country and here in our town.  God is faithful.  We are being sustained and encouraged by God's love and strength and from all the care, concern, and unsweet tea that is lavished upon us daily from all of you.  Love and gentle side hugs! It's all good. Praise God!

No comments: