Saturday, July 27, 2013

Quick update - radiation therapy

It's been a crazy few weeks! With great friends and a fabulous babysitter coming in after my family left, we have survived.  I did a little kid lifting today.  not much but I just had to get back in the saddle.  It felt great to just get my little and put them where I wanted instead of waiting for someone else.  Still sore so I don't expect I will go overboard at this point and I don't enjoy the swelling and icepacks after a long day. 

Met with the Radiation Oncologist on Friday and we will start radiation therapy on the 12th.  Same week school starts.  We like to start school this way.  Last year it was the littles joining our family so why not do something equally as crazy this year although not even close to the same fun. I have not exactly signed on the dotted line of the study but probably will thus I will either be randomized to a 3 week more potent course of radiation or the standard 6 week course. So that will determine when I am done with treatments. We have no idea what the effects of the radiation will be like on me.

 Side note:  All of you that have so sweetly offered to bring us food, this is when we expect to need some relief and help (hope to get one of those online sign up things soon)

 The side effects generally seem to be anything from hardly nothing (like a little tired)  to pretty darn serious (like burns and very fatigued)  as reported from friends and family that I know that have had it.  As I told my mom, I am the only me, so who knows what it will be for me.  I know I am going to be asking everyone to pray for minimal side effects with both the radiation and hormone therapy.  I started the Tamoxifen a few weeks ago and besides feeling more overwhelmed and emotional, I haven't noticed much....not that I wouldn't feel overwhelmed and emotional anyway with all of the chaos going on. :) 

We are going to head north for a quick before school starts and because Pat needs a big ol' break vacation and I cannot wait.  Pat has been on 24/7 super duty for weeks now and I look forward to seeing him relax and get out on the lake and refresh.  He so deserves it. 

Thank you again and again for all the prayers, cards, encouragement and support you have given me over the last few weeks.  We are blessed, tired, but very blessed. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hiya friend! I am Laura Hoagland's sister Shannon and I followed your blog faithfully when you were on your adoption journey. I am shocked by your last posts, but I love the way you are sharing your powerful story--writing is cathartic, isn't it? I hope & pray you are resting well (ha! with 3 littles) and that you are following Dr's orders. Love to Pat & the whole fam.