I have my rhino shirt on and even woke up with Rhino-ish hair although the picture doesn't give it justice. As you can tell by the absence of my glasses, I was not cooperating for pics much this AM so of course the glasses are the first thing to go when I am not happy!
We hope you have a great birthday Auntie Rhino and yes, like everyone else, your present is in the mail, LATE. Say hi to "Untle Bwian"!
__________________________________________________________
THE end of an era....literally.
We finally got rid of the last circa 60's toilet. This one was a wonderful shade of mint green and sounded like the house was flooding when it was flushed. As of Monday, we now have a nice, efficient, white Kohler toilet....it is a happy ending....literally! ;)
We had a slower week with my allergies and sinuses acting up. Just didn't have the energy to deal with his current unpredictability outside the house. Thank goodness for his Dora and Diego CD's and the ever present Little Einsteins line-up. I truly think these tv moments have helped with his english and singing skills! ;)
Pat has been working hard on getting a grant out this week so we are both a little worn out. We did get to have our first official date night last Sunday thanks to my friend Eleanor. We went to the movies and saw Bourne Ultimatum. Good Flick! It felt weird but great. Nick did fine even though he had not done well at church or earlier in the day. Eleanor has the Nanny touch. Kids love her. Lucky for us!
We have started working on several things lately. We are slowly trying to get Nick into an earlier bedtime routine and in the process help him go to sleep with out us in the room. He is starting to fight naps a bit in the afternoon so I have designated 130-3 as quiet time. He has to be in his room whether or not he chooses to sleep. He can read, sing, whatever as long as he does it quietly. I usually stay for about 15-20 minutes and then whether he is asleep or not, I tell him I love him and that he needs to have quiet time. We have done this for a few days and at least it helps me not to have to stay in the room while he is jumping and running around and trying to get me to talk to him. He can make a mess of the room but since we have left it fairly empty, it is manageable and I have him help me pick up. We are waiting to start the night time routine until he gets his new bed but we have started talking about Moose taking our place next to him for bedtime. We know he can go to bed on his own....he has done it for 3 years before coming here but with all of the changes, we decided to make bedtime our last big change because this is a good time for bonding and trust building.
We have also been preparing Nick for preschool that starts next week. We had orientation last night. I have to say it was a bit overwhelming for me. If I had not done the Nanny thing and known about the carpool line and all of the rules that go with that, I would have thought these nice people were crazy. It seems a bit surreal to have only been a mom for about 6 months and already dealing with the school thing. I think he will do fine but I do worry about all the things that they expect them to be able to do at 3. I know he can do them but will he understand what they are saying quick enough to do it in a timely manner. I guess that is where their experience comes in handy. I took a few pictures so that I can show Nick and try to prepare him before he goes. He will also go visit his teacher next week on Tuesday.

This is his homeroom and we love that the school is called Little Elks since Nick is so familiar with this image. He will probably call it Little Moose but that is OK with us.
The rooms are so cheery and cute. I almost wish I could be there to watch him learn. His teacher is Ms. Marsha. She has taught there for over 20 years and I think she will be great for Nick. Lots of understanding and patience!
Well, August is over. I hope the heat goes with it. We have had Tx heat this summer and I don't like that....I moved from there for just that reason. Fall is my favorite time of year. I can't wait to get Nick in a bunch of Woodsy looking clothes (probably some moose on them) and get him outside raking leaves. You know he will love that! Have a Happy Labor Day Holiday!
Love, K and the boys






2 comments:
Karen,
I have heard great things about Mrs. Marsha! I asked Libby last night what she wanted to thank God for and she said "my school" and "Ms. Estepp" (her teacher) -- how sweet! I'm sure Nick will soon be saying these things too. Missed everyone this week -- let's work on a Plan B next time we get together.
Kristina
Mel said Riley is going to the same preschool as Nick... are they maybe in the same class? Also, I think you're going to find that Nick's English develops exponentially once he's consistently with peers and a teacher who is thinking about teaching building ALL the kids' language. When English Language Learners come to the US and start Kindergarten, it's no time before they're communicating as well as (and better than) their classmates! Funny that you're tackling naptime while we tackle bedtime. Now that the night routine is essentially working smoothly for us, naptime is next... although it looks like we're going to have to take some measures to keep LC in her bed through the night. She was at least waiting until 5ish to sneak into our bed, but she keeps pushing that time back a little each night. Of course, once we get all these good habits in place, we're going to have our world rocked with a new addition to our family (and to LC's bedroom!) At least we are getting restful sleep for now...
Post a Comment