Thursday, September 6, 2007

It seems like just yesterday........

I was thinking this morning that I have heard moms say over and over thru the years that "it seems like just yesterday that we were coming home from the hospital, they were learing to walk, talk, etc" and with tears, they continue, and now he or she is going to school. sniff, sniff. Well, it really didn't feel like that to me because it almost has been "yesterday" or 5 months since we brought him home and sending him to school seems a bit surreal. I think he will love it but it almost feels too soon to let him go. Luckily, it is only two days a week and frankly, I could use the breather (me and the YMCA are going to get up close and personal) So, let me tell you about our "first day of preschool".


We were all smiles and excitement in prep for our first day....notice Pat at home (he usually goes to work at 6a).....he spent yesterday in "prep"aration for a colonoscopy to occur shortly after I got Nick to school.....but on the upside, he was there to help get everything ready.

We headed out to take Papa to the clinic and then on to preschool. See my cute bag from Grandma Martha! We had to continually check it to make sure he did not add toys to it before we left the house! ;)


Everyone was taking pictures in this pretty garden next to the school building. Nick was excited about the garden but not posing for a picture.

He loved the fountain and I had to drag him away from it so we wouldn't be late for class.


This was the look that Mama got when he suddenly realized that I was not going in the room with him. He had just finished saying "mama stay". His teacher helped guide him towards the room and the screaming started...very loud, very intense. Nice! So, that is how my morning started....so now I will give you a play by play of the next few interesting hours.

9-945 - grab some food and head back to my hubby at the hospital for his fun procedure.

10-11 - wait and wait for the people to come get him knowing that I have to get back to Nick by noon but I also have to be ready to get Pat when they are done because he can't leave without family.

1130 - go get Nick, wait in the dreaded car pool line....they were so efficient and it was no big deal. Greet my smiling happy son who apparently quited down quickly and did fine. Praise the Lord!

1200 - 1245 - fight traffic and decide to grab Nick some lunch with a friend. Call hospital to check on status. Pat has just come out of procedure, will be a while before ready, should be able to eat. Head to Istanbul Palace (good eats on Waller Ave)....did I mention that Nick has started trying to get out of carseat and fussing and getting edgy. We get to restaurant and he begins to meltdown because he now doesn't want to get out of the carseat that he just spent the last 15 minutes trying to get out of. So we get out and go in restaurant where he proceeds to scream, hit, and throw the glasses. So after a few minutes, I decide that we can't do this so I tell my friend to get the food to go and we would eat in car. So, we go to car and Nick proceeds to scream and kick because he wants to eat and go back in restaurant that he just had a fit about going in. Well, I am sweating and fed up so I proceed to put him in the car just as the hospital calls to tell me that Pat is ready....He just got out, how could he be ready so quick, oh well, we aren't eating so might as well head to the hospital. My wonderful, wonderful friend says she will just bring the food to us at the hospital because at 130 we have appt to get Nick some more vaccinations.


1245-110 drive around the UK front drive....that place makes me crazy all on its own...and I could not see Pat so I keep going round and round until I see one of my friends from work come out in the driveway with a nurse to stop me and she is waving her hands for me to stop and says "wow, I haven't seen Pat in a while and I said how ya doin and he just puked everywhere (luckily in the trashcan) in the Lobby." and then the nurse proceeds to tell me that the have to take Pat back upstairs to watch him. ugh!


110-130 - I call my friend and tell her to meet us in the clinic parking structure and she does and then walks in with me to register Nick and get him to the clinic appt for shots. SO we rush over to peds clinic and sign in and Nick proceeds to have a second huge meltdown. He was hitting, throwing himself to the ground, screaming, etc. And, my sweet friend who has a very wonderful 16 year old proceeds to coach me thru this meltdown (the ABC's of timeouts in public) We made it thru the event although at some point during the time, I turned off the phone (it was part of the initial trigger) so I did not get the call to come get Pat until we had calmed Nick down. So, We called over to endoscopy and of course they were ready for us to get him and we were waiting for the nurse. So, again, my extremely wonderful friend went to get my husband while I subjected my poor sweet boy to more stress (shots). The doctor wanted more blood work for Nick but we are doing that tomorrow because, well, because.


2 ish - we all went out to the parking garage, my friend took the wheel chair back that Pat was in after giving us the food that we had not eaten yet, and we headed home. I was drenched in sweat and must have looked a sight. But we made it home and that is how the first day of preschool went........... I have to say that my sweet boy was past lunchtime and past naptime so most of his meltdowns could be attributed to that but Wow! what a morning!

We were all tired (Pat a bit pale) but smiling at home while Nick showed us his first official Art project. It was a Bear. One of his favorites.



We even got the elusive bear face on camera with the usual handsign. So cute. Papa and Nick took a late Nap together and then we ended the day with our 6 month post-adoption home visit. All went well and we are a happy and tired family going to bed tonight. I am so thankful for my friend "Ms. LaLa".....words cannot express how she helped us get thru the morning. God is good! My wonderful husband is giving me the weekend off as I go celebrate turning 40 with friends (one of them has also turned 40).....they are driving down from St. Louis and meeting me in Western Ky at the Lake......and I just found out that they are bringing me my birthday present from my favorite comfort food restaurant from growing up......Pirrone's pizza....I will eat it anyway, anytime so this is the best treat ever. St. Louis pizza is different and in a class all its own. So pray for a safe journey and a good weekend for the "boys" at home. Have a great weekend everyone!

2 comments:

Shannon Sampson said...

Wow. Oh, wow. I appreciate your play-by-play accounts of days like yesterday. Looks like in the midst of the chaos, you all did have a good day all in all. Thanks for making Spanish a part of your day this morning (when you all probably just needed to sleep in and recover from your wild and crazy Thursday!)

Kristina said...

Can't wait to hear how your weekend went! Deeper Still was awesome. We'll have to work on a playdate time since we are on opposite days of preschool. See you at BSF Wednesday -- Matthew here we come! akml