Our New Year started out fairly calmly. Watched some Sound of Music.....Nick was even intrigued for a minute or two as seen below..... Pat and I forced ourselves to stay up until 12:01...so that we can say that we are "hip" parents instead of parents with bad hips!
Nick has started out 2008 with lots of smiles and hugs. He has really enjoyed playing with his toys and his language skills are still getting better and better.
His newest phrases which make us laugh all of the time are:
--peh-fect! (perfect).....he usually says this after creating something.
-- by self! (by myself) ....he uses this most now that we have accomplished our NY resolution of letting Nick go to sleep without us staying in the room. He exclaims every morning with a big smile. Nick sleep by self! He expects hi fives, hugs, and Knucks all around!
-- Nick so sad or Nick cwyin! .....this is his new way of telling us that we have really let him down by not letting him electrocute, burn, or break any part of his body by what he wants to do. It takes everything we have to not crack up! He drops his head with great theatrics and shakes it in despair while saying this.
--Slow Down! Police say no, no, no! .......He goes back and forth on the highway with this one or "fasser, fasser" .....Of course, mom is hoping he sticks with the slow down!
--"good for you?" ......he uses this in several ways.....when preparing a pretend meal or sharing his real food , he will ask this in a question form. When getting a sucker or snack food, he uses it as a statement and as a dietitian I am compelled to burst his bubble! ;)
That is all I can think of for now but I know there are more. He has been so much fun lately as he is communicating with us so much better. I think it has made him feel so much better too. We realize now that so much of the behavior issues were most likely due to extreme frustration because he couldn't verbalize how he felt or what he wanted. Every morning, our routine usually consists of him coming into our room and getting into bed with Mama. He usually comments that Daddy is "back-a-work" and then he sometimes goes back to sleep or just likes to cuddle next to me and give lots and lots of kisses. How great is that.....beats getting up for work any day of the week. He usually will eat breakfast and play or go to preschool. He had his homemade goo from our Christmas Eve party a few days ago and was making his truck go thru the "ooky muddy" and his new favorite thing is the mail. His hat in the picture is his mail hat and his little tykes car is his mail truck.

I think that the next few posts will be some tips and facts for fellow adoptive parents but I will still try and include some pics for the grandparents! I have loved being in the adopton community and we all rely on each other to fill each other in on the details so I am going to try and type out loud as I think thru some things that would have been helpful before or after our adoption journey.
Hope everyone is having a great first weekend of 2008!
Hope everyone is having a great first weekend of 2008!






3 comments:
He is just adorable and I'm so glad for you that the communication is getting easier. I can't wait to have my little one snuggling in bed with us too--sounds like heaven. You've already been so much help and an inspiration to me while we've been waiting for a court date, I can't wait to read your next post. Thanks for the wonderful comments you always send--it has really helped me thru this long wait.
Love,
Jody
You should have seen Libby the next day playing on her "cell phone." She was calling all of her friends that had been at the playdate the day before and arranging for them to come again "around five thirty" -- so grown-up. She tried calling Logan but she said his mommy is busy! I will have to tell Amy on Wednesday. Do you have any interest in going to the Beaumont Library on Mondays for story time? Amy M and I were talking about that today. Just a thought. akml
The language barrier is a big one - that's part of why age 2 is often so difficult. The kid knows what he's thinking, but can't get it across to anyone else! Akiva had a really rough first semester this year. Now that he can play in Hebrew, he's back to his calm, lovable self. He was having major meltdowns several times a day - and couldn't really tell anyone why. I am so glad Nick is conquering that obstacle.
Carol
Post a Comment