Sunday, June 22, 2008

the need for SPEED

Certain things are becoming clear to us as Nick 's personality continues to emerge.......he loves being in the water and now, the faster it goes, the better. The swimming is no big deal, Pat loves to swim too.....but this need for speed will be hard to handle. First of all, I am known for being a grandma driver although I do go a few miles over the limit some days, and I don't mind telling others to mind the speed limit...what's the hurry? Second and our biggest problem is that we are in fact middle-agers who's vestibular systems (the stuff in your head that decides whether you get dizzy or not) just don't seem to be what they used to ....I have never been able to do the fast crazy rides and Pat has learned on our last several trips to an amusement park that he cannot handle them anymore either. Now, I know that there are ways to improve this somewhat, we are a PT family after all but when the carousel sends you over the edge....is there really much hope? It looks like some lucky tween- or teenager will be added to most of our excursions so that Nick won't miss out on feeding his Need For Speed!



Why all this talk about Speed you ask? Well, we spent the evening at the County Fair and from the looks of it, we have an amusement park junkie in training! Our previous attempts at rides hadnot been so good as Nick wanted to get off the rides and/or stand up while it was moving causing the ride to be shut down....not so fun. Well, something must have clicked in Woodford County because he got it! and then he wanted to get it, again, and again, and again.



The first ride was the kid rollercoaster. Pat rode it with Nick and had the camera with him so no pics but he was smiling from ear to ear and got off saying more, more! So, on we went.....




I think the race car was his favorite.....look at that smile!



He has pictures of bumper cars in his "russian book" and he had never seen them in real life! He was so excited. Pat said everytime they bumped someone....he yelled out Sorry! So funny!



He wants to be a pilot most days so the helicopter was right up his alley or would that be runway?



He thought Dumbo and another car-type ride were much too slow and wanted off but did not try to get up....thank goodness. He had his eyes closed and kept sighing on the slow car ride. The lady standing next to us thought this was so funny. He is so dramatic!



Yes, this was the ride that almost sent me to the bathrooms. Probably Nick was saying to me....Mom why are you looking straight up and not looking out? Well, son, it is because i am about to HURL! So humiliating.....I sooooo wanted to be the cool mom! oh well! I can tell you the difference between an f-15 and an f-18....that has to count for something!



He rode several other rides and then some of the same ones over. He went into the fun house with Pat and the glass maze was hilarious....we could see and hear him hitting the glass as it took him a minute to figure out how to feel for the right path. He entered with such exuberance and Wham! and then, Wham! I guess as a Mom I should have been worried but it was just so darn funny! Dad was laughing too! Nick wanted to go right back in so I guess it didn't hurt too badly! It was so fun to see him learning to just have fun. We now feel more confident to try King's island next for more practice! We can definitely see Disney in our future now... woo!hoo!

4 comments:

Kristina said...

Bobby and I are not much for roller coasters either, but we don't know about Libby yet since she hasn't been to any carnivals. We are thinking of doing Disney next year -- want to plan it together? See ya'll tonight, k

Julie, Tim, and Peyton said...

This is sooo funny. Peyton often tells us in the car, "you're going too fast!" I think we have opposites on our hands. He won't even get on the merry go round at Gatti Town. We are going to try King's Island this summer and see how it goes. I have been practicing roller coasters with him as we go up a hill in the car I make the sound and when we go down the hill he thinks it is so fun to put his hands up and yell "wheeeee". Hopefully it will transfer to the real thing.

Kaz Blog Reader said...

You guys are brave - we are avoiding the fair this year :) Between the food & rides, too much for mom :) Okay, the fair here is out of control so we avoid it most years, but still...

Nick looks like he had a blast!

Kristan and Mark said...

hey, found your blog. seems like i found it a while ago and then lost it again.

looks like Nick had tons of fun. I love amusement parks but as I get older I find the ones that spin are not for me any more. But oh how I love rollercoasters. Tanner does to. Maybe one day when you are headed to dinsey we will be headed that way to and the boys can enjoy some of the rides together.

We use to go once a year. We've taken Sadie once but we may skip a year or two before heading back since we have been so regularly (we live about 7 hours so it's not a bad trip and always a fun get away.)