Saturday, February 10, 2007

And the kazventure has begun.......

Friday started out as any normal day.....Ha! If we would have had fireworks to celebrate the day we would have but instead we did it my way, at MAGEE'S. Nothing better to get you started on a big adventure than a pure sugar load. Pat and I stayed up until 2 am trying to figure out how to get everything they tell you to bring in 2 checked baggages and 2 carry ons. Not posssible, I finally broke down and added a duffle but still left some stuff at home. I am not sure how I am going to face a little one with out Cheerios but they didn't make it....we may have folks ship them later when we are settled.

So, the day progressed rather rapidly but fairly organized. Just the last minute panic of "do we have everything we might need for 2 months" Probably Not. Carrie took us to the airport around 330p arriving about 2 hours before our flight. And, yep, we were over the weight limit but the kind people at northwest had mercy on us and didn't charge....it's a good thing because now they owe us, big time. They decided that it would be more beneficial with our weighty baggages to take a different flight thru detroit since it was a jet versus prop-job and Memphis was expecting freezing rain. So we said sure! It would get us into Amsterdam a bit earlier but we had a long lay-over anyway. Well, that's when the excitement started........

Just so you know, we vowed to always keep a sense of humor about any of the ups and downs so parents just don't worry, we will survive even cocky, barney fife wanna be's. OK, so here is what happened. In lexington, we went thru our securty check almost without problems but alas, something in my bag flagged them. I asked for a private viewing because they were going to have to take all my stuff out and I had it packed to the very last inch.....oh, I dreaded trying to get it back in....but they were very kind and quick and the offensive material, PEANUT BUTTER! yes, that food product didn't even cross my mind. It was probably on the list but I didn't remember. So, Our peanut butter is now donated to the homeless shelter.... so be it! Unfortunately, we can't count it off on our taxes......because they are already done! So, efficient we are.....Thank you so much, Tammy!

Now, we catch our slightly delayed flight to Detroit. No problems, we think.....well, we sat out on the tarmack in Detroit for a few minutes, just enough to make us have to walk really, really fast to our flight to Amsterdam. Our little nice Northwest people at the beginning failed to really explain how close the flights might be..... We rushed to the plane, the last ones to arrive. The ticket people were practically pushing us down the jetway but then we had to stop to visit the customs people......No, let me re-phrase, BarneyFife dressed as Tom Cruise. Seemingly nice looking fella, Nope. He asked the normal questions and somehow when we said adoption like we were supposed to little flags went up in his head.....oh, they carry money. So, he proceeds to lecture us on the importance of declaring our money....which we hadn't because no one told us we needed to. We were bringing extra because of the chance of getting two so we went over the limit. Now, remember, they were pushing us down the taxiway to get on the plane that was waiting for us. Barney decides that since we had not filled out the form yet that everything must be searched because we might be hiding another million or so in our backpacks (very heavily packed back packs). Oh, did I mention that he wanted to count all the money right in the middle of the taxiway.....he did get some people to help him so lets all know that Karen and Pat have money on them.....there went that anonymity that we were supposed to keep. So basically it was this fight between them and the airline. The one security lady was thinking he would let us go once we signed the forms but nope, had to search everything and count that money (new money, which so easy to count! ) Needless to say, we made the plane. This is also where the kindness of strangers never came in to play because in our delay, a rather hateful man decided that he wanted Pat's seat because he wanted to be next to his wife and would not move! So then the Flight attendant tried to get the lady next to me to move to the other seat where Pat had been sent to.....aisle seat, no different than hers. AND, she wouldn't move! So, I sat in the middle of the middle seats and Pat sat 5 rows in front of me for 9 hours. Lovely! My lady was so obnoxious that I decided to hog the arm rest just as a protest. She had her earphones on so loud that I didn't even need mine! But, I am happy to say that we are blogging at the Amsterdam airport waiting on our flight to Almaty at 615p (9 1/2 hour layover). We are tired but glad to be back together. The KLM people and everyone here at the airport are so nice and we are just going to be glad for that and remember barney and the mean people with a smile on our face because we are half way to getting our child! Woo Hoo. We will blog again if possible once we get to Almaty! Bye for now, the rather tired and dazed Kitzkazventurers.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Post...Still hope everything is going ok

Happy Grandparents

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that ya'll had to go through that ordeal. I'm thankful you are there safe though. Hopefully, the next leg of the adventure is not as stressful. Glad you both are so flexible. BJ says he would of waited until SECURITY got there to remove that rude man. HA!HA! Looking forward to what is next. Love you both!!

hoaglands said...

Just so you know, cigars from other countries are a no -no in customs, too. Heath learned the hard way. . .
Still praying. We're getting ready to watch the CATs on TV. We'll cheer for you.

Love you,
Hoaglands

Susan said...

This is fun. Kind of like "Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?" Can't wait to read tomorrow. I have updated Aunt Wanda. How cold is it there?? Love and prayers,

Susan

Betsy Kitzman said...

Congratulations on the final phase of getting to meet your child(ren)! We can't wait to meet your new little one(s) in June. Godspeed to you all.

Betsy & Harvey

Mike, Julie and Dakota said...

What a way to start the adventure. Hope the next leg is smoother.

Anonymous said...

You have got to love customs! I remember how fun it was in Jamaica:) I am glad you got through and can't wait for your next posting! I am keeping you in my prayers. We saw Brian's family today for his nephew's baptism and they were all asking about you and the adoption-they wish you well:) Lots of love!
Erin

Ray and Sandy said...

We are glad you are almost there! We know the rest of the adventure will go smoothly. What was with the rude guy anyway? Seriously. We need to educate him on the basics of southern hospitality :)

Love you guys!
Ray and Smetz

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen and Pat,
Your dad sent me this link after church today and I will try to connect you with some of our "m"s in Almaty if I can. So excited for you and will look forward to hearing more. Hope the rest of your trip goes better than the first part!
Juanelle

Schlafers said...

Wow! We hope the rest of your trip was a smoother. We have been thinking of you guys! We can't wait to hear about the new little one!

kkklessig said...

Just think, the adventure is just starting! Jeff and I are praying for you, hoping that everything[else]goes smoothly for you.

Nick and Mary Sue said...

Hope the rest of your journey to Zhez was pretty straight forward. We can sympathize with your experience in customs/security, though we met our 'barney fife' in Almaty.

We look forward to following your adventure. Please give our best to Zhezkazgan :-)

Kara Lee said...

Just remember that what goes around comes around with mean people on planes. From our flight back from Korea, I remember loving the crying and the poo of our little one. If the noise or stinkies bothered those around us, they could not recognize the joy we had in being parents to a wonderful child!
Godspeed!

Beryl & Dave said...

We hope the rest of your trip went smoother and know that we are thinking of you. We look forward to your next step in this wonderful journey...

Unknown said...

Karen!

This is David Pinsky. I'm so excited that you all are doing this post so we can join you during your trip in Kazakhstan! Also, you have my empathy as a fellow traveler who knows what it's like to get into those fiascoes at the airport. I just started reading today, but love the pictures I've seen of the little boy you all are visiting with. I'm actually at the GCRC right now! I'm back on board until mid-July or so. Look forward to seeing you when you return. Take care and good luck! Enjoy your trip.

David

eleanor53 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
eleanor53 said...

Hello,
I think you guys like great together. I know you remember some of the tricks that only you and know to get little boys to do what you want.I can't wait to spoil him.
I will pray a special prayer for you and Pat.
Eleanor 53 xoxo!