Wednesday, February 21, 2007

We may be rounding the bonding corner......


I love to be high up in the air....height does
work for Papa in this instance. He loves his
Papa more everyday!


Bad lighting but priceless picture!




I love eating with PaPa.....visions
of Superbowls to come....




Another bag for me!
Today is Wednesday and we are almost 3/4 th of the way through our bonding and we are actually bonding! He saw us this morning and ran from his caretaker to the door to the play room. This was a big change for us because he usually starts to pout when he sees us. Dr. Roza also says that he is crying when it is time for group because he does not want to go but wants to come to the room. He also pouted when it was time for him to go which he has never done. He kept walking to the other side of the room away from the door where Dr. Roza was standing. Such a special thing to see for us. We got lots of touches and smiles today. He like to be put up in the air, tickeled and likes "ride a little horsey". He is mostly like a typical 3 (as of tomorrow) yr old. A tornado when he hits the room. Toys go everywhere. I think he will love the type of toys that you put things in and out. He will probably like legos as long as he has boxes to pour them in and out of. We got him a russian play cell phone which he like very much and took it with him when he left. Our translator, Masha, has a cell phone as we said before with lots of ring tones so this one was similar (and loud!) We keep forgetting to tell everyone about his special like of the turkish ring tone. It plays a turkish song and he just starts to wiggle and dance....only this song does he wiggle....the other ring tones he just sways. We feel this is once again a definite sign that he is for us because that means he is ready to meet Ahmet at our favorite restaurant, Oasis!!!! He will go crazy for the music and probably the food too! We tried bananas today and yesterday and it is quite comical. He won't let me cut it into pieces, he wants to hold the whole thing and keeps gagging himself trying to put the whole thing down his throat. Hilarious faces. He is definitely being more verbal now although none of us know what he is saying since it is Kazak spoken by a 3 year old. We had to do some boundary things today which was interesting. He wanted to play with our dossier (Masha was working on it) and he kept wanting to get up in the window sill (which would be OK except he is too smart and figured out how to open the window and that will get us in trouble with the Dr! ) so we had to take him away from both things and say no and as you can expect he was not so happy. Had to lay down and cry a bit but let Mama hold him and comfort him and then he tried again, just saying no worked the second time although we got the most hilarious mean face.
Thanks for all of the prayers, It is amazing how well the internet is working so far today and we found out our court date is the 28th (next wednesday!) .....only 2 days after our bonding time ends. Masha said this was fast and we know its because of some great Prayers back home and a gracious God!
We will not see Nurik until about 3 tomorrow because Masha is a teacher and her schedule will not allow a morning visit so we will try and take some pics of our area for all to see.
We have had some questions about sizes and we think he will probably be about a 3T. His weight is about 50th percentile and height about 10th. Well, we don't want to lose this blog so we will send now and say thanks for the prayers and comments. We really do value each and every one! Love to all! K-Pat

10 comments:

Susan said...

How cool. Your bonding is happening at an even faster rate than your court date!! He really looks like he is opening up and enjoying you. Looks like he is also testing the limits...he may have had Hayden lessons for that...if not I'll bring Hayden over so he can take lessons from the master!!!

Kelly, I reply and check my e-mail every morning. It is my routine and sleep is a luxury for parents of small children :)

I do enjoy being part of the adventure and Aunt Wanda is always anxious for news.

Have a great day. We are hoping for a spring like day here...but rain.

Julie, Tim, and Peyton said...

I love the pictures! And yeah God! Your court date is so soon! He is so good to us.

On the sizing thing that everyone is so anxious to have: I pulled up the growth charts on the CDC web site and 50% weight is about 32 lbs for a 36 month old, and 5% in height (gotta love that Asian blood for shortness ;-) is about 35 inches. To me that translates to about a 2T for height and 3T for weight (elastic waists are wonderful for our short little boys), but if they take the height and weight to the store it is on a lot of tags, or the clerks can help them if it is a specialty kids store like Osh Kosh, Gymboree, or someplace like that.

Hey Karen, I think Nicholas is giving Peyton a run for his money in the cuteness category! I showed him more pictures last night and he pointed and said "Peyton?" I had to explain that the pictures were of his friend Nurik.

So question: are you going to continue to call him Nurik, or Nicholas?

You are continually on my mind and in our prayers. Peyton's Bible story last night was on the Tower of Babel and we praised God for different languages and cultures. Also that Nurik will easily transition to the English language. Love to you all!

Anonymous said...

You're a family! What great pictures and great news. I would say the bonding has taken a giant leap.So many people are enjoying your journey. We certainly must commend the orphanage on doing a wonderful job with these children. All the prayers going your way have been a huge boost.
We can't wait to open "our mail" each day.
Love you all. Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

It really looks like you are making great strides in feeling like a family. We understand about testing boundaries, because Ethan is still testing every possible one, and Aidan is just realizing that it looks like fun for a 19 month old to do! Great news on the early court date. Continue to enjoy your time together!

lykins said...

Wonderful pictures!!! So glad to hear and see that everything is going so well. Nicholas will have the happiest birthday ever tomorrow- ENJOY! And give him a big birthday kiss from his future partner in boundary testing crime-Emma! :)

Anonymous said...

Ya'll look GREAT as the new little family. Pat always had a way with tossing the kiddos high up in the sky. They all love it. That is one of Lyndsay favorite things for Uncle Pat to do with her. I'm so thankful that all is going good. Hopefully, you all will get to come home alittle earlier than planned.
What will you all get to do for his birthday? Do they have little parties in the orphanage?
It is another Hot day in Texas. We hit 81 degrees yesterday(Tuesday). That's Crazy!! My allergies have been bothering me due to mountain cedar. Hope yours is still better. Well take care. I've got to close for now. I have a conference with Lyndsay's teacher regarding kindergarten. They tested her to see how she is doing. I guess making sure she is ready for kindergarten. I know she might be ready but I'm not. Ha! Look forward to the next blog and pictures. Love ya'll

STGerharz said...

Everyone is getting quite involved in the size issue, so I thought I'd put in my two cents. All that really matters is: What size Brett Favre jersey does he wear?! I can see from the pictures that Nicholas is no stranger to the frozen tundra!

It is so good to see you tossing your son into the air Pat. Son, how cool is that?

We are interviewing prospective employees this week. It is a very interesting process. The water is still a bit hard for kayaking, but spring is just around the corner.

I hope things continue to go well for you guys. We all look forward to meeting that cute little dude some day.

carol said...

Wow - wonderful pictures. You are bonding so quickly, and really starting to know the little guy. This is such an incredible experience, it blows me away - also brings a tear to the eye. I truly believe that when we do what we are meant to do, God makes the path a little smoother.

Keep up the good work, and I will be praying that all goes well for all of you.

Carol

Kristina said...

Hello from KY! FINALLY -- you don't know how many times I have tried to post a comment and am just now figuring it out! I am so non-techie but I love the blog. If I didn't get it tonight, I was just going to give up and write a letter or figure out how to call you all!!! Karen, I loved your comment about thinking they are going to run to somebody else for comfort -- only another nanny would understand! Now we both have our own children and I love the fact that Nurik and Libby will be close in age just four months apaprt since her birthday is June 22. They already have their lucky number in common! I don't know what your nanny schedule was but mine in NYC was Monday morning until Friday early evening (everything in between) so weekends off. Then when I came back to Lex and didn't live with the family it was 7:30 to 5:30 M-F. So that was really nice with nights and weekends off -- I didn't realize then how important it was to have a goodnight's sleep until after Libby was born. Karen, you are the Mommy now -- and we don't get paid to do this like we used to! But it is a family of our own and that is a special thing indeed -- priceless as Mastercard would say. I can't wait to have playdates! Libby loves to dump and fill to so they will get along well. She also gags on her bananas because she stuffs too much in her mouth for a big bite. And even though she speaks English sometimes I have to ask her to repeat it three times and still don't know what she said. You all are so blessed! I remember you saying that for awhile after you come back to the States you will have to keep to yourselves for awhile but I couldn't remember how long that was -- a couple of months? I was thinking since his birthday is tomorrow (how are you all going to celebrate there?) that maybe you could do a half birthday party on August 22? We don't want to freak him out but just want to shower him with lots of love and goodies! Well, I have probably written enough for one night. I hope I can remember how to do this tomorrow! If you can, fill me in on what happens between end of bonding time and court date (those two days which were an answered prayer) and then what happens after the court date. You already know I am slow so I hope you understand that if I did know at one time I don't know now. Oh hey, one last story that I just remembered before I go. We took Libby to All Worship Encounter tonight and I packed a bag of musicial instruments that she could praise God with -- cymbals (Oh yes they are in the Bible!), little shakers (don't think they are in there), scarves to dance with, rhythm sticks and a drum -- I left the eukelale (oh you know the little guitar thingie) at home. She and Camden had the best time and they actually did a good job keeping on beat! Everybody around us was impressed how good they were and loved it. So we will have to get Nurik in the little praise band as well -- when he's ready of course. It's about 10:30 our time and Bobby is putting her to bed. We have started this alternating night duty and it seems to be working. She came in here to give me a kiss and said, "It's Daddy's turn tonight." So precious! You all have so much to look forward to. Congratulations! Love, kml

Ray and Sandy said...

The picture are precious! You can really feel the trust building and the family becoming closer and closer through the pics. The picture of the square-looks sooooo cold! Ouch, if it is too cold for Pat.....I will be thinking about you guys and the court date. it will all go smoothly, I know it!

Best of luck!