We are having computer problems and it is taking a long time to get things posted.
We thought Amsterdam would be finished with the last blog since that is where we wrote it. But, there is a little bit more to write about Amsterdam because we had yet to go thru customs....oh the joy! Part of this saga is probably my fault because I wasn't aggressive enough in finding out if the European rules for carry-ons were the same as ours. It looked the same on their board but some how my gut told me it might not be so because I went to the immigration desk and no one would help me so I got frustrated and walked away and thought I would find a security person somewhere to ask by in the rest of the afternoon in our semi-delirium, we did not see one until time to go thru security for the plane. And, yep, you guessed it the rules are not the same, absolutely no contact solution in your carry on bags. Well, normally, when I travel I might put a new one in the suitcase and carry the old one but since I had called ahead to our TSA/customs people and they said we could carry solutions because it was considered medicine, I just decided to carry all of it in my back pack because there was no room in the suitcases. So, guess what, I got to throw away 6 brand new bottles of saline and contact cleaner solution. The wouldn't even just check my back pack unless I went all the way out to the ticket counters and checked it.... of course, we didn't have time. Poor Pat, he was trying so hard to help me figure out something and it was just hopeless so I just cried as they threw all of my contact solution in a trash can......at least my peanut butter went to the homeless people......this is what fatigue does to you .... a normally very stable person(ha) was inconsolable about contact solution. But, that is where God can be so there in the small stuff, just wait until you hear this..... so, anyway, we got on the plane and at least got to sit together for the 6 hour flight to Almaty. It was fairly uneventful flight. When we got to Almaty, I had that sick feeling about going thru customs because we had such an ordeal in all of the places, BUT, Almaty was heaven... no problemo, no nothing. Walked right thru the customs gate (thank you nice customs people) and then went and collected All four pieces of our luggage and easily found our driver Oleg. He was waiting for us with a GMC Suburban... how fun is that! We would have never fit int a European car, never! He took us to our hotel for the day until he was to pick us up at 7 p to catch our next flight to Dzezkazgan, our final destination. We had breakfast since it was morning for Kaz. Not sure what time our body thought it was. All the food on the plane had tomatoes so I was starving. They had some interesting looking stuff. I had some crepes and cheese with bread and tea. Pat was the more adventurous one as usual and tried some hot pocket type things....Gosh, I can't even get away form Hot Pockets in Kaz......they're Everywhere! Anyway, then we slept for about 5 hours with our alarm set to get us up in time to meet our driver. It was a nice rest and we woke up before the alarm so we thought we would call a family friend that we were put in contact with thru Pat's parents and her parents. We gave them a call and told them that we wee in town and were about to leave again. During our conversation, I was telling them that I lost all of my contact solution and guess what kind of contact solution that Kirsten used, The Same Kind! So, she came right over to the hotel and visited with us and dropped off one of her precious bottles of solution (can't get it here) for me to use until we can get some shipped. A coincidence, I think not, God takes care of us, even in the small stuff. We will add pictures as soon as we can get the computer to work. Our word processing doesn't download onto these Kazak computers so we are having to re-type everything and pictures.....who knows. We will try.
Tuesday, February 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






2 comments:
And WHO is surprized that THE almighty was in almity? EVEN with the proper contact solution :)
God is good all the time!
Glad you are staying warm. . . we have 8 inches of snow here in St.Louie. The queen and I are having a snow day!
Love you guys,
Laura
Hey! Just figured out I can leave messages. Way cool!! I totally understand about crying over small stuff. Welcome to sleep deprived motherhood!!!!!!
Post a Comment