Thursday, February 15, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day!






We know he is not looking at the camera but we didn't know the picture thing was going to work so we didn't bring all of them but now we know and have a faster computer cafe so maybe we can get the whole thing together next time.
Our second day with Nurik (probably Nicholas) was up and down. He pretty much wanted to cry when they first brought him in but was trying to be brave and just had this quivering lip for a bit until we brought out all of the food. The snacks worked for a while but then he all of the sudden just started crying so hard and luckily, Dr. Roza came in and helped get him calmed down. I just can't imagine what the poor little one is thinking. My Nannie radar was no good when you can't communicate very well with him. I just think about all of the other 2-3 year olds we have around us and imagine if they were thrust into this type of situation. My feeling is that they would freak too! We did get him in his Moose shoes and he kept them on until time to go. After Dr. Roza left again, we still had more time on the clock so we kept playing with anything we could think of, towards the end of the visit, he started allowing us to play with him and this felt like a small step towards normalcy. This will be an interesting experience to watch someone learn to trust you and love you. For him, he has no idea what a family is or what a Mama and Papa really are....so being told he has one now probably doesn't mean the same thing to him as it does to us. We do get smiles but hard to catch on camera like I said before. As far as our other time spent here, we do alot of sleeping! Still trying to get in this time zone. On the lighter side of our lives, We had a small apartment that we affectionately called the Kaz spa because of the extreme heat like a sauna and then our kitchen flooded so we had the steam room also. Thanks to our translator, we moved all of our stuff yesterday to a new apt. which is right next to their big open market. It is a much bigger place and has an actual bed although still small for Pat! ;) He is kind of a giant here. We get lots of stares.....dark clothes don't even help. We have really appreciated and teared up over all of the comments! Please keep them coming, they help us feel so connected in a foreign land. We have discussed how we have a whole new appreciation and respect for missionaries and foreign exchange students. Hopefully, we can add new pics of just daily life here and more pics of Nurik from our visit this afternoon. If you notice the little "flat stanley" in some of the pictures, this is my nephew's school project and he has travelled with us to Kaz for an adventure with us. He will go back to Zach's school and hopefully, win the contest for the most miles travelled! Well, we will go for now but can't wait to fill you in on more of our Kazventure tomorrow. Love, K-Pat


19 comments:

Susan said...

He is beautiful (handsome??). I love the name Nicholas. (If I get a vote). I can't believe they are staring at poor Pat. I'll hook him up with a therapy session when you get back for his low self-esteem issues. Sounds like you are getting settled. Hope you are having fun. Hannah Beth says he is adorable!!!

lykins said...

Yay! Thanks for the pics- can't wait to see more. He is absolutely adorable- Emma saw him and said, "Cute boy!"- (I'm in trouble, aren't I?) We will be keeping you all in our prayers as you continue to bond with your son. Lots of love!

Anonymous said...

Our nephew is sooo cute!!! Just like cousin Susan we think the name choice is great. Any thoughts on middle name yet?? Zach just got up and ran to see his cousin with flat Stanley. He says that his cousin is soo cute. Zach got a webkinz(stuff animal-dog) for Valentine's Day and he can't wait to show Nicholas(Nurik). I'll write more later after I get Zach off to school. Take care & look forward to more Zitzkazventure news.
Love Sis and family

Anonymous said...

Nicholas is SO adorable. We love him already. His cheeks are just asking for a little pinch. (but don't frighten him). Are you learning how to be patient Pat?
I know you want to get down on the floor and play with him. Karen I'am sure all of your nanny skills have kicked in.
Please know our prayers are with all of you.
Love, Mom and Dad

Unknown said...

God bless you both as you adjust. I'm praying the alergies will subside soon. Nicholas is beautiful!
love ya,
cathy

Anonymous said...

He is absolutely precious! I can't even imagine what the little guy is thinking. Good luck as you "break the ice" with your new son. Thumbs up on the name Nicholas. Keep us posted on updates!

Sulzers said...

Guys, he is beautiful. I can only imagine Stephen would be reacting the same way. Lots of patience (easier said than done at times). What about stickers and markers?
I am praying for your allergies and strength as a couple. Thanks for the pictures

Carrie, Mark & Mikey said...

Amazingly, when we heard the name Nurik, we immediately thought that "Nick" for Nicholas would be a great Americanized version. We can't wait for additional pictures!

Sulzers said...

Kooliobiscuits!!!!(inside joke)
this is SO awesome. he's very cute.
i luv wat u guys r doing!!!

Sulzers said...

this last 1 was from michael. sry

Karen & Mike Machol said...

We are so happy for you all! Nurik is just wonderful and we know that he will love you all as much as you do him. You are in our prayers. Thank you for sharing with us. Love Karen and Mike

Mike, Julie and Dakota said...

How adorable!! We can't wait to see more pictures. Even my preschool parents think he's beautiful. Nicholas sounds like a great name. We can't wait to meet him.

Anonymous said...

So glad that things are going well. I do think that Nurik favors Pat rather than you Karen.
I can no longer read this journal before I go to work. I always seem to cry.

Anonymous said...

How adorable. I have LOVED reading the blog. God is SO good. Send more pictures!! I'll pray for allergy relief.

melissa said...

When I opened your blog and saw pictures, my eyes filled with tears. Wow..you're parents..you've been lead 1/2 way across the world to meet your son! It's actually happened and he's beautiful. Know you're all in our prayers. From my recent trip to Africa, I can relate to your many travel experiences, numb exhaustion and confused emotions. Continue to trust in God's perfect timing and provision!! God is good. All the time.

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen and Pat, I am so glad you made it safe and sound and you found a precious and absolutely adorable boy! he is so cute, so handsome, he is a little charmer! he will blossom and shine more and more. You will see! So many people love you and wish you well - that is awesome. You will be all right! just handle this new experience and remember - you will go through it and will remember it for the rest of your lives! collect special memories! Everything is new and everything is special. Enjoy every day with your future child. time of bonding will bring you surprises every day: his smiles, his emotions, his inteructions with you. he will warm up more and more and in no time he will love you so strongly and you will love him with all power of your hearts, blessings to you! sincerely,

MommyTo2fromKaz said...

Hi Karen and Patrick:
Hello from the parents group, and congratulations! What a sweetie Nurik is! Some of us are checking up on you in case you need anything, so just ask and we'll write back. Thank you for blogging, it's lovely.

It is tremendously nostalgic to see your beautiful little boy playing on the same rug, same room where we played with our children, who all are now home and doing well!

Soon you will be too!

blessing and good wishes from all of us.
Ellen

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
diane and tyra said...

diane and tyra

we are so happy to see your son.We love to see the pictures and reading the stories.We can see that you all are happy and so we are happy too.We think of you everyday and give everybody in the babyhouse our greetings from Belgium.
Kisses