Thursday, February 22, 2007


Mark and Carrie, Your son is brilliant! Did you know he was bilingual? He was just practicing for Nuriks homecoming so they could share chips together. Who would have thought that we were wrong in assuming that he was just asking for crackers? Such a smart boy you are Mikey!

We haven't gone to see our boy yet today for his birthday. Still a few more hours but the internet is working well right now and we even got a few emails off which is a luxury we don't get too often. We will try to celebrate a bit although I don't think it will be a concept he understands. We were told that we could of course bring toys but no cake since they worry about the cream? So, it will be cookies for Nurik and some balloons and a toy or two. I think that we will try to celebrate his homecoming and just wait for a big 4 year old birthday when hopefully he can understand a bunch more.

Everyone has been asking about what is left for us here. After our court date, we will still have a 16 day waiting period for the court papers to be filed. On the 16th day, I believe we get to bring Nurik to our apartment while we wait on his immigration papers. This will also take a few days. Then we will fly to Almaty for all of his Dr. appointments and the rest of his INS papers. This can take about a week also. SO, we are still looking at mid-late March for our return to USA.
We are so blessed to have some contacts in Almaty now (former Hodags (school mascot) from Rhinelander) so they have offered to show us the town and I am sure Nurik will enjoy playing with their girls. Kirsten was the one who gave me the valuable contact solution!

Another question has been in regards to Nurik's name. We will continue to call him Nurik (Nurboulot) here and over time will maybe shorten it to Nick though Pat thinks Nick Nurik, Private Eye, "I carry a badge" sounds really cool.....yes, we still have our sense of humor here, you have to!

Sizes are probably 3T but he is shorter as Julie said and may have to have some pants rolled up which is pretty much what they do here.

We will probably keep Nurik out of the "public" for at least a month or so until he feels comfortable in his surroundings. After we feel that he is ready for more integration, We want to have a big party to celebrate his adoption and all of our great family and friends! Maybe it will be in May since that is birthday and anniversary month for Pat and I.

Hope this answers a few questions.. Still loving the comments...Thanks for the long ones Kristina and Julie! It is definitely a weird experience transitioning from Nanny to Mommy! Love you guys! K-Pat

9 comments:

Susan said...

Happy Birthday NICK (NURIK). I love they private eye concept. Much more creative that cowboys and indians. Thinking of you guys often but running late to get everyone up and out today!!!

Susan

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you....! Oh, I can't wait to cuddle with little Nurik and give him a big smooch:) I know I will have to be patient and let him get to know me first, but once he does-watch out:)

I am so happy for the two of you! I love all of the pictures and it looks like he is having a great time when you are together!!! I can't wait to go shopping for him this weekend! What kinds of big things do you need for him--bed, high chair, etc. We can put a list together and a get those things for you too:)

Have a wonderful day together with him and know that I am praying for you all! Enjoy and God Bless!
Love, Proud Auntie Erin

Betsy Kitzman said...

Yeah for birthdays! My niece Allison just turned 4, so I know this is a wonderful age of discovery for Nurik.

We've really enjoyed following along the adventure via the blog -- thanks for sharing with everyone. If it's any consolation, the allergens are a nightmare in Texas right now too. You're not missing anything by being in Kaz :)

We can't wait to see all of you in June.

Love,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Nurik! Sounds like everything is progressing smoothly. He will definitely have a major adjusting period. I don't envy you the plane ride home with all those people! Enjoy his birthday! Ethan loved his when he turned 3 (pinata and all) All our love and prayers!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Nurik(Nick)!!!!
Thanks for the informative blog today. Sounds like everything is going well. What's up with the cream part of the cake that the kids can't have?? I'm sure he'll get plenty of cakes from your favorite place. Take care and stay warm.
Love ya'll lots,
Kelly & Family

D. Kelly said...

Your comments have the makings of a great book. What a great reminder to those entrusted with children...they open our hearts and break them in a way that keeps us comoing back for more.

Anonymous said...

I've been passing all of the info on to Brian everytime I read the blog, but he finally got to see the pictures today! He laughs because I can't wait to pinch Nurik's cute chipmunk cheeks:)

I hope he had an awesome birthday! We are going to go our shopping for him this weekend, so loet us know if he needs anything special. you know me, I am just chomping at the bit to buy him something!!:)

We love you both and are so happy for you and Nurik!!
love Erin and Brian

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Nurik from the Douglas family!! Sounds like he is growing similar to Ryan, so I'll be able to help some on the clothes side:) The pictures of he and Pat are just so heartwarming. I have just spent the evening with Julia (almost 3) and Nuriya (almost 3) and they literally acted the same! None of us could believe the similarities, so Jules will have great fun with her buddy Nurik! Lip gloss is a huge hit with the girls, but I remember Ryan loving it too! Don't know if they allow it, but it's worth a try:) Love to all of you!

Anonymous said...

good to talk with you tonight. glad you had a good day with Nurik on his birthday and glad he was not afraid of the ballons.
We received an e-mail today on a spot where you can look up your biblical birthverse and for Feb. 22 it is Ephesians 2:22 "And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit."
Thought for the day...you are a child of God,His chosen posession. He has created you in His own image.He chose the day for you to be born and He has a plan and a purpose for your life.
We thought that was neat and would send it to you. Got to go for now.
Love
Mom and Dad