Hello everyone. We made it just fine to Almaty two days ago. Nick did great onthe plane....No fear of flying. The only problem is like any 3 year old his attention span is about 10 min and he wants to wander around. Luckily Karen was able to keep his attention for the 2 hour trip from Jez.
Well the Lord has been looking out for us. We thought we would have to survive living in a small hotel room for the next week but the hotels were all full so we now reside in a VERY large apartment (2 times as large as any in Jez) located right across the street from their major University (makes me feel a like more at home and normal...well as normal as I ever have been). Almaty is a great (very large city) with a lot to see and we have walked a lot. The only problem is the city (the former Capital of Kaz) is next to the mountains so the streets are very hilly to walk. The mountains are beautiful and hopefully we will go see them a bit this week.
It is completely amazing how getting a good night sleep in a real bed (that I can once again share with my wife...the first time in 7 weeks) a shower, and food that is recognizable (we scored some peanut butter..WOO HOO) can make life a joy again.
The one problem with apartment is if gives Nick too much room to build up speed when running and he has a 3 year olds control...which means he usually stops by running into something. we have been spending hours going through his picture book and having him run all over the house pointing out object he sees in the book. He has also learned where in his other books he has seen different objects so we go from book to book to book etc....very funny. Karen has been having fun teaching him animal noises and signs.
We met with the coordinator yesterday to begin filling out the Embassy papers for Nick and Oleg thinks we should have no problems (keep you fingers crossed because we have heard this before) finishing this week so we hope to make our flight on the 15th (a week from tomorrow).
We are hoping to meet up with our friends from the embassy this afternoon for an Easter Egg hunt and I hope to join them for Easter Service tomorrow.
Well that is all for today. Have a wonderful Easter everyone. Pat, Karen and Nick
Saturday, April 7, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






4 comments:
I'm so glad things are looking better for you guys. We looked up an Alamty tourism site and it looks like there is lots more for you guys to see and do.
We have snow on the ground here this morning!!! Its incredible to believe. The kids both have soccer this morning and I am really dreading it. It has surely killed my roses and peach, pear, cherry and apple trees. I'm pretty bummed about that as well. Other than this last blast of cold, we have really enjoyed our Spring Break and are ready to go back for the last six weeks of school.
Hope you guys enjoy this week and get to do lots of interesting things before your return to Lexington.
Happy Easter guys. So glad to hear you arrived safe and sound in Almaty. Nick sounds like such a 'typical' little 3 year old. He is so lovable, I remember teaching our daughter all the animal sounds also (I think it is more fun for the parents!!) Wishing you a Happy Easter in Almaty. (funny I thought I would lose lots of weight in Kaz last year when I saw all the hills but then I discovered their chocolate!!)
The Keogh's in Toronto.
http://keoghclan.multiply.com/
So good to hear from you all! It snowed in Lexington yesterday(Good Friday) so we may have a white Easter. God has a sense of humor! UK hired Billy Gillespie as their new basketball coach so the town has been buzzing. He coached at UTEP and Texas A&M (which played here in Rupp but their cheerleaders were hilarious so I spent more time watching them than the who the coach was but then again at that time Tubby was still our coach). He seems like a good ol' country boy with a big smile. He coached at Tulsa under Bill Self who is at Kansas now. This is probably way too much basketball information but you may be sports junkies like me. I am so glad you have plans for Easter. Shannon and Lauren Clay came over for dinner Friday night and we all colored Easter eggs. The girls were so funny -- just plopping those eggs in the colored water and splashing everywhere. We didn't use that little tool that comes with all sets but instead used the tongs and Libby was quite good at using those. The eggs will be easy to spot in the snow covered grass if we even hide them. I am so glad God has blessed you all with a roomy apartment and normal bed for this final leg of the trip. We will pray for more normal food -- yeah for peanut butter though! How exciting to be across from a college campus and near the mountains. Take lots of pictures! We can't wait to see you all. Karen, we will have to have a girls night out sometime when you get back and leave Pat and Nick at home for some guy time -- or if not that after he goes to sleep you can sneak out to Joseph Beth's cafe, Panera, Starbucks -- whereever you want to go -- my treat! Hang in there, girlfriend! Love to you all, Kristina
Happy Easter! I'm so glad to hear you all are doing better. One more week and you all are home with your little boy. What a blessing it is.
Do you all know when you get to take Nick to the Doctor? Have you got the papers yet?
I better go and get the cheesy potatoes out. We are headed to mom and dad's for lunch. We all went to the 8am service. I worked in the 9a with the babies. We only had one. I guess it was to cold to bring little ones out? It was in the 30's. Mom is working the nursery the last service. I love ya'll. Send some pictures of the new place, egg hunt, etc if you can. Hope you all have a BLESSED day.
Love,
Kelly & Family
Post a Comment