Tuesday, April 3, 2007

The light at the end of the tunnel was a train

We have just been informed that our paperwork that was supposed to be finished by early this week (last week actually) may not be done till next week. This means the earliest we can fly home will most likely be the 14th (2-3 weeks past when we expected to be home). Needless to say Karen and I are fairly distressed and could use some serious prayers to help us hold on to our remaining humor.

The one sunny spot is that we will be in a larger city (Almaty) starting on Thursday with some new people to meet and better food to eat.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Pat and Karen,
Hang in there you two:) I am so sorry to hear about your set back. I wish I had some wonderful story of how God is working here, but I don't. Maybe he knows Almaty is a wonderful tourist attraction and knows you will need a few more days to take in all of the sights:) Like you said, at least you will be in a new city, new appt, better food and can interact with some Americans. That should hopefully boost your spirits:) Know that I am giving you all a big hug through the internet right now:)

Well, here is a little story to hopefully brighten your day...Meeko needed to go to the vet for a dental cleaning and Brian was very nice droped him off. His instructions were to drop off the cat and the paperwork. He came back home and I asked how it went. He told me fine, but he needed to pick up febreeze because his truck stunk--"I think Meeko went in his pet carrier!" I was shocked because this has never happened before and began quizing him on what happened during the ride. "Did you talk to him?yes. Were you driving crazy? No. What EXACTLY happened on the ride to the vet?" Here is what happened--he drove to work, picked up some papers and then heard a sound in the engine. He decided it would be a good idea to check it right away and looked under the hood. He then SLAMMED THE HOOD DOWN-WHAM!!! Poor Meeko must have freaked out because he peed all over his pet carrier:( Brian then did EXACTLY what he was told. He brought this stinking kitty into the vet office, dropped it off on the counter with the paperwork and LEFT! No-"I'm sorry the cat might have gone in the carrier...". Just set him down and ran out:) We discussed that when we have kids, they will probably poop their pants or throw up on the way to the doctor. He can't bring them into the office, set them on the counter and then leave:) He said-"Why not?:)"

Well, I hope that today goes better for you and I will say a prayer for you when I sign off. I love you all very much!!
Love, Erin

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your setback. You have definitely had your share of them! This is just that extended European vacation that so many people dream of having. :)
We are getting ready for Ethan's 4th birthday party. It is the day before Easter, so he wants to go bowling. Should be interesting. You definitely have our prayers that things suddenly speed up in this long process. Enjoy the Easter holiday with your new family.

Ray and Sandy said...

Oh guys!! So sorry. Just making for a very interesting story. Seriously, you should write a book about your experience.. delays, ice capades.... At least off to Almaty, new places, exciting times. Ray and I are headed to Boulder Friday for Eaaster weekend. We are meeting my family. We are already used to Phoenix weather, so highs in the 50's sounds cold! I know, I know, a heat wave to you-sorry! We think about you guys alot. We try to beam Arizona sun and warmth! Oh, Florida beat Ohio State in the NCAA tournament last night by like 9-10 points. Rumor has it KY wants Billy Donovan, so let the games begin....

Be careful on the trip to Almaty!

Love,
Smetz and Ray

Ray and Sandy said...

Oh guys!! So sorry. Just making for a very interesting story. Seriously, you should write a book about your experience.. delays, ice capades.... At least off to Almaty, new places, exciting times. Ray and I are headed to Boulder Friday for Eaaster weekend. We are meeting my family. We are already used to Phoenix weather, so highs in the 50's sounds cold! I know, I know, a heat wave to you-sorry! We think about you guys alot. We try to beam Arizona sun and warmth! Oh, Florida beat Ohio State in the NCAA tournament last night by like 9-10 points. Rumor has it KY wants Billy Donovan, so let the games begin....

Be careful on the trip to Almaty!

Love,
Smetz and Ray

Susan said...

Sorry to hear about the delay. At least it will be in another place. The change of scenery will do you good. It sounds like there may be more to do there at least. Take lots of pictures and make try to make it as vacation-like as possible. It is that long awaited European vacation.

We are on Spring Break this week and are having great weather, but cold is on its way. I have just been outside trying to figure out how to cover my fruit trees and roses so they don't get frozen. AAHH Kentucky weather.

The kids are having a great break and we are doing hardly anything productive. They want to take the puppies to obedience school, but I think if the dogs start activities too, I may have to quit my job just to transport all these critters to their appropriate lessons/practices. Hannah Beth is very disappointed that we can't fit anything else in and has actually been sitting down with a calendar to try to make it work.

Hope things look brighter on your side of the world. We think of you often.

Susan