Friday, April 13, 2007


More little dwarf sinks and tub. We think they just stood them in tub and washed them down because he did not seem to know about the whole playing and sitting in the water thing. Now he does.....of course our new apartment only has a shower so he sits in a little green plastic wash basin but dad and I enjoy the shower!


This was there little cubbies with their towels. It was like being in the house of the seven dwarfs...everything was on their level.




This was in the orphanage. Nick always points to the white comb area so I would assume his comb was somewhere around there. I love all the little tooth brushes lined up.








Nick loves this camel statue thing. Unfortunately, he wouldn't turn around for the pic!


Not much new to write today. Pat is definitely leaving out Sunday morning but still no word on anything here. We haven't seen the doctor or progressed on any paperwork that we know of...but then we can't get any communication going since our coordinator is out of country. He is in Tennessee (escorting a child) .....wish he could have escorted us home.

We ventured out to the restaurant everyone had told us about on blogs. Mad Murphy's Irish Pub. Pat is famous for finding an Irish Pub anywhere in the world and now even in Kaz, he found one. The food was OK but better than anything we had had in a long time especially the fries and pancake (Nicks meal). The hamburgers had a weird taste to me but then I am picky about meat anyway as everyone knows. We met two more Americans along the way....it is easy to hear the English language when you haven't heard it for a while. They told us where the mysterious (to us) cafe Delia was and that Americans meet on Sundays there so I will try to go with Nick and get some conversation time.

We wanted to go to the Lebanese restaurant but it was a white napkin type and we are wearing less than white napkin clothes and have a 3 year old so I guess it is grilled cheese and peanut butter and jelly till we get home.....oh, yummy! Nick is not eating as well and won't try anything new so I am anxious to get home before he starts to lose weight. We found these chicken dumpling things that he will eat but he isn't even eating potatoes much anymore so we are running out of options.

He has been falling asleep a bit better the last few naps and bedtime but then I worry that he has a head injury from all his falls and maybe he is lethargic....so then I don't sleep... I guess this is the life of a mom, huh! ;) We still have random battles over the most obscure things but I think over all that we are improving on the hitting and biting front.....now, if we could just keep him from destroying and throwing things.

It is getting rather hot here and we did not bring clothes for this weather. Pat of course has short sleeves as he wears them year round but I am wearing the same two UK t-shirts over and over. I think Pat is going to leave me some of his T-shirts so I can have some alternates. Poor Nick has mostly winter stuff too. It was so cold still when we left there that I was hoping he would be fine but it is about 15 degrees warmer here and will be above 70 today. I refuse to pay their high prices around here for him some clothes ($90 for a summer hat)...he is still wearing the winter shirts (long sleeve polos) but no coat although we are breaking the Kazak rule and letting him go without a hat and I am trying to get him not to wear his tights under his pants but I guess old habits are hard to break even with 3 year olds....we don't really try to fit in anymore....they stare anyway so we just wear what we want. Where is a good Wal-Mart when you need it?!

We want to wish Pat's sister Tracey a big happy birthday tomorrow......I am pretty sure she is my age so it is a big one this year but I will protect her privacy in such a pubic venue! ha!
My parent's are coming to visit us when we get home and then Pat's parents are coming shortly after....we are very excited to see them and thank them for having very expensive phone bills for our sake. They have kept us going by phone more times than they know....it is kind of sad to be our age and sitting on the couch waiting on your parents to call and being so excited when they do!

Well, hope you enjoy the belated orphanage pics. We have a few more to share next time and then maybe some photos of the Irish Pub. Nick's first restaurant would be an Irish Pub....Pat's Mom's side of the family will be so proud! He did great though and we had nice seating outside...there was even a playground but he was content to sit and watch the world go by......

Have a great Friday everyone......Love, K-Pat and Nick

3 comments:

Jane & P.D. said...

Karen & Pat, our hearts are with you. Reading your blogs remind us of 16 years ago today when we arrived back in Texas with a three year old and an infant from Romania. Time just seems to fly by and as if it's any comfort you'll look back on these days of waiting with fond memories. Andrew has been driving for one month now, having celebrated his 16th birthday on the 13th of March.

I remember a Saturday morning in the airport in Bucharest when we arrived to head home after what seemed to be an eternity (3 weeks). When we went to check in at the desk, we were surprised to find out that our airlines, Romanian air was on strike and we would not be leaving for home that day. Have you ever seen a grown man cry in the airport...I have... P.D. was beside himself with disappointment, and I was too, but I couldn't cry, he was doing that for both of us! On our way back to our "borrowed" apartment, we found a phone and contacted our travel agent back home. She made some quick phone calls and found out that PanAm was going to accept all the American's tickets on Romanian Air and fly us back to Germany the following day. Our trip home was only delayed a day, but it seemed like forever.

Speaking of food...we had been in Romania for over 2 weeks when we found a resturant in Bucharest that served Pepsi! The resturant staff stood and watched as P.D. downed a case of Pepsi's in no time at all!

Once we finally arrived home, we were greated by the most friendly faces of friends and family...one being yours, Karen! We still are grateful for your help our first night back home when you stayed the night to care for the boys so P.D. and I could get a good night's rest! Thank You!

We look forward to meeting Nurik and welcoming him to the family! We will continue to monitor your blogs so we can know when you're all on your way home.

Love, Jane & P.D, Jon and Andrew

Anonymous said...

Hey Pat, Karen and Nick,
It is so neat to see all the pictures from the orphanage! I loved the combs and toothbrushes:) It would be fun to see Pat standing next to the sinks:) I can't wait to see more pictures! It looks like Nick is really taking to you both:) You are doing a great job of parenting and Karen, I doubt Nick has a skull fracture. I bet he is tired from the new routine, not eating as much and maybe not sleeping as much:) If you didn't worry it would mean you didn't care:)

Not much is new with Brian or myself. I have been working my butt off! It is so busy that I am giving up all my paperwork time and then trying to catch up over lunch. I am just eating a few quick bites at my desk and then doing paperwork-good times, good times! This weekend I have my first dress fitting. Brian is going to try to till up a spot in the lawn for our garden-yeah!! This year we will try to plant things that we actually eat! Last year we planted things we thought should go in a garden thinking the other person ate it-nope:) We had a lot of things that went to coworkers and family:) This year we will plant a lot of peas (yumm), beans, colorabi, 1 row of onions for Brian (yuck!), and a few tomatoes. I think it would be cool to have some raspberry bushs too,but I don't know if they will have to be more by the house. I will have to check with Mr. Agriculture:)

I wish Pat a safe trip back and will definitely be calling him next week:) Have a good weekend together. I love you all!!
Love, Erin

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen! I just wanted to encourage you about the food thing. I know he is your precious little man and you want him to eat, but just recently even Julia has stopped eating. I thought it was a guy thing---ha! with Ryan because for so long he would only eat a bite or two of what I put in front of him. Now, Julia is doing that! I can look back at Ryan's and see that he just didn't need much at that time. He is eating everything in sight now---and he truthfully was eating very little before. Julia used to eat everything in sight--too much really, but now is hardly touching anything. I think it may be their age. I know you are the expert, but at least you can know you aren't alone:)

We can't wait for you guys to come home. I was just sitting around the table with the kids today and could picture you and Nick there with us for lunch. I know it will be a while, but we are still looking forward to it.

Know that I love you and am praying for you!!

Here is a little scripture for you...

He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young. Isaiah 40:11

oh and one more..

Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens. Psalm 68:19