Well things have been delayed again. We have Nicks translated medical records so we will see the doctor in the next day or two. However, for reasons unknown, his passport documents won't be done till next week. Even our coordinator here in Almaty has no idea why the 7-10 day process is taking almost 4 weeks to complete. So after a very long discussion..and a very hard decision to make, Karen and I have decided that I will fly home on Sunday as planned and she and Nick will fly home later next week (hopefully). As we have found out from talking to other adoptive families I have been fortunate to have such a wonderful job and supportive colleagues that has allowed me to stay this long (8weeks) but it is time I get back to work and to take care of the home front. Our friends have been so absolutely helpful (thanks Carrie, Laurie, Lauren, and everyone else) over the past 8 weeks but we feel one of us needs to be home to take care of the day to day stuff (ie bills) and get the dog prepared for his new brother. Plus I can finish getting the home ready for Nicholas's arrival.
The positive side (one of the very few as far as this husband and father can see) is there are people here in Almaty who can help Karen if she needs and as I said she and Nick should be able to fly home the end of next week.
Well that is the newest from here. Hopefully we will know more in the next day or two. Pat (Karen and Nick)
Wednesday, April 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






5 comments:
Karen, Pat and Nurik,
I'm so sorry to hear about another setback. It must be very disheartening, but keep in mind that God is ultimately in controll (I know you know that, but sometimes we all need to be reminded). There is a reason you are not going to be on that plane with Nurik on Sunday. Perhaps there is something wonderful in Almaty that you are to discover before Nurik leaves his homeland, maybe forever. Karen, this is where your nanny skills will come in handy. I think I would go berserk having to handle a toddler on a long flight all by myself. But I know you have the patience of Job and will embrace the one on one time with Nurik.
The big news this morning is that Mickie DeMoss is resigning today. She is holding a press conference as I type this. Rumor has it she is the one who made the decision, not UK, and that she is on the list to be the coach at LSU. I guess we will know more in an hour or so.
So what kinds of food is Nurik used to eating at the orphanage. I know on Tim's adoption papers it said he ate rice 3 meals a day (I think he still could!). What have you been able to get him to eat on your limited choices? Is he picky, or will he eat anything you offer?
Well, work is pretty crazy right now (when isn't it?) so I better go. I just hadn't touched base for a while and want you to know we think of you every day and Peyton prays for Nurik (and James the train) every night.
Blessings to you,
Julie
Well, I know that you guys wanted to be home in time for Easter and that the many delays are very disappointing, but if it makes you feel any better, you are not missing out on any warm weather over here...in fact, I never expected that I would have a more difficult time trying to get home to Owensboro for Easter than I did for Christmas! We got back from Vero Beach on Thursday, so of course I had laundry to catch up on Friday before I could drive home...well, by the time I got it all finished and everything packed up, huge wet snowflakes were falling en masse outside my window! We only got about an inch, but Pat, for us Southern wimps that is a BLIZZARD;) Anyway, the snow isn't really what made me hesitate to drive home...the local stations were running a banner across the bottom of the screen that a lot of viewers had called in saying that there was black ice on the roads and numerous cars off of the roads...so I chose to be safe rather than sorry and drove home Saturday morning instead.
Mom's dogwood blossoms were looking a bit rough but at least they were on the trees still, making for pretty Easter morning pictures.
I really enjoyed reading your blog posting about whether he felt like he was yours yet, because I had been a bit curious about that as well...your explanation of your feelings and emotions so far were very honest and I'm sure very helpful to other adoptive parents.
Vero Beach was fun for the kids because we took Woodford's son, Ford, along with us...he is four and very, very energetic! Fortunately for you guys this gave the kids some practice "babysitting" a kid similar to Nurik's age...I was pleasantly surprised to find that Alex took to this task really well and was a big help to us with Ford. Ellie has been asking when you will be home so that she can meet Nurik, and I've explained to her that even though you will (hopefully) be home in another week that he will need a little time to adjust to the culture shock of a new home in another country before he has visitors...so please hurry home because we are all very excited:)
I am so sorry to hear about this latest delay. Kids can cause alot of problems, adoptive or otherwise! Do you think the agency that handles the travel documents is looking for more money? I know Dr Bodensteiner said when he was visiting his daughter they wanted to travel somewhere that needed documents adn he was told it would take about 10 days. When he offered a monetary gift (ie bribe) he could have it the next day. Money does talk! I hope that isn't what is holding things up for your case.
We are getting ready to take the boys to Mall of America to play at Camp Snoopy. Jeff's daughter, Laura, is going to help with the boys. I don't know how a 14 yr old girl will keep from shopping with all those stores!
Hope all goes okay for you. It sounds like Nick is good with flying. Ethan was a riot when we flew to Denver last year. He loved it, and the pilot let him go in the cockpit and sit in his seat. I know they don't do that much anymore, and Paul was very jealous that he missed it. He was on diaper duty at the time!!
Sending all our love and prayers!
Hey Pat, Karen and Nick,
My heart is breaking for you Pat. I know what a hard decision this is for you to return to the states. I am so sorry that you have to be in the position. Karen will be in good hands in Almaty and God will look out for her and Nick:) I believe there is a reason for everything and when we get to see God, we will all have to ask him-"So why the long delay Big Guy?" Having you home first will probably make the transition easier since I am sure you have a stack of mail to go through and you can make sure Nick's room is ready to go and have the refridgerator packed with kid friendly things. Oh, do you need to kid proof the house? Let us know if there is anything big that you need.
Not much is going on here. We have had a sick kitty. Meeko had a dental cleaning done 2 weeks ago. He had narcotics for 2 days and then antibiotics for 1 1/2 weeks. He began throwing up about 1 week ago. He didn't just throw up in one room, but walked as he was throwing up so that he made sure to cover as many rooms of new carpet as possible!:) Brian and I are now expert cat puke stain cleaners! We kept taking him into the vet and being told that nothing is wrong and he will be fine the next day. Nope-puke city! I finally got him into his regular vet. Want to know what was wrong?? He was constipated!!! He was straining so much it made him sick and nauseated so he puked! Who would have thought! The vet gave him a kitty enema and he is the happiest cat I have ever seen:) Lynn Eggman would be saying-"I told you that an enema would help!:)"
We just got a winter storm here today. It was a lot of wet stuff, so not much accumulated. We were supposed to get 4-9inches-yuck! Most PT's had a lot of cancels. Not me:( I had a lot of new evals of people for urinary incontinence. They must have thought that they can't miss this appointment rain or shine!!
Well, I need to head home. I will be praying for you all. I love you very much! Hang in there. You are in the home stretch!!!
Erin
Oh, Lord, Our Lord, How majestic is your name in all the earth!
Oh Lord our Lord How majestic is your name in all the earth!
The heavens declare your greatness the oceans cry out to you
THE MOUNTAINS THEY BOW DOWN BEFORE YOU so I'll join with the earth and I'll give my praise to you!
Psalm 121
I will lift my eyes up to the mountains;
From where shall my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord who made heaven and earth.
He will not allow your foot to slip;
He who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, He who keeps Israel
Will neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord is your keeper;
The Lord is your shade on your right hand.
The sun will not smite you by day,
Nor the moon by night.
The Lord will protect you from all evil;
He will keep your soul.
The Lord will guard your going out and your coming in
From this time forth and forever.
Matthew 17:20
For truly I say to you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you.
Sovereign God,
I humbly come asking You to move this mountain of delay for this family. I do believe You can do this, help me overcome my unbelief that nothing is impossible for You. I boldly ask in these next two days that those officials that you have given power and authority would bow to Your will and get these papers done and to Almaty that Pat AND Karen AND Nick may all come home together on that plane on Sunday.
Father, we ask that Your will would be done here on earth as it is in heaven.
Father, if You are willing, remove this delay; yet not my will by Your be done.
May the Lord watch between Pat and Karen and Nick should they be absent one from another.
Lord, thank you that we can bring this before Your throne. Thank you that Jesus is seated at the right hand intereceding much better than I can for them. Move in this situation as only You can. We need a miracle! And we are expecting You to answer. For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory forever. AMEN!
The Lord bless you and keep you;
The Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious to you;
The Lord lift up His countenance on you, and give you peace.
Numbers 6:24-26
On my knees in Lexington,
Kristina
Post a Comment