Monday, March 12, 2007

just some words from Karen and Pat

Just a side note today. By the way, as you may have noticed, the entries post from top to bottom so on days we post more than once, you may have to start at the last entry you read and read up so things are in order of thought process......just a tip!

As we pondered what people actually think of Americans here, we got quite tickled because with Pat and I as representatives it is rather a scary thought. We see it more as a soap opera....you know.....As the Dorks Fall, so are the LONG Days of our Lives. We have fallen so many times that it has to be a record for both of us. No bruises to note but certainly a lot of humility is being birthed in us while here. We had a particularly fun one the other day leaving the store. We try to blend in and not be so FOREIGN and strange however as we started to descend some stairs, or individual slopes as we call them...Karen no sooner exclaimed that they were very slippery that I decided to be civic minded and help clean the steps by kicking both feet out at the same time and cleaning the steps with my bottom. It could have registered on the richter scale. As a reward one of the scouts for the Kaz curling team noticed the extensive distance and accuracy in which I was able to propel one of our 5 liter jugs of water down the icy sidewalk. Had a Kaz bystander not stopped it, I would most likely have qualified for the next Olympics.

The funny thing is that they just randomly happen. No warning.....just walking, and then you are gazing at the beautiful blue sky is above you. My sister Kelly would just about be beside herself with giggles because she is one of those people as am I that has to chuckle when somebody falls.....it is not that you want them to be hurt...it is just funny sometimes.

We also entertain ourselves with self commentary to the Russian dubbed movies.....as friends of Pat's know, he can be very creative and he keeps me in stitches most of the time. We watched Sound of Music last night....the last of the DVD's that we brought with us so it looks like we will be repeating a few.

One side note on Dzezkazgan....we are very envious of the atmosphere of safety around here. We see kids as young as 5-6 walking to school, playing outside, etc. with no parents with them. Masha says it is very normal for the kids to walk to school in the early mornings and no one has worries. The kids are adorable and we love seeing them in all of their winter clothes. Walking snowboys and snowgirls. Their other big winter to spring holiday is coming up the day after we get Nurik so we are excited to see some of their more traditional Kazakh stuff. Yurts (tents), and camels, horses, and such. Hopefully, it will be warm so we can be out with Nurik. We are also glad that we get him the day before it starts, because this would have delayed us another few days because again it is a 3 days holiday. It may slow our paperwork some but at least we will have our son!

Today is a long day so we plan to shop for puzzles, pick up laundry, and of course, probably stop by the grocery store. As we said at the beginning...these are the long days of our lives but very special days. Luckily, our rather goofy sense of humor has made this a memorable journey and we will have one special little boy to come home with us. Well, we are off to conquer the ice once again. Love to all! K-Pat

8 comments:

Susan said...

What great pictures. You can see how well he is adjusting. Can't wait to meet him. Enjoying all the stories, even if poor Pat has to fall for laughs. You will both need regular chiropractic care for weeks after the falls and the beds. Time to start a long work week. Check in tomorrow. I'm always glad to see the latest news.

Anonymous said...

Nurik is looking so happy and comfortable with you. What a family.
I'am sorry, but I just could not quit laughing at the picture in my mind of you sailing down the steps with the water jugs sailing even faster. We can laugh because you wern't hurt.You both seem to be taking things in stride. My,my what patience our son has developed.
Love you all, Mom and Dad

D. Kelly said...

You have kept us all entertained with your hysterical blogs. We can't wait to hear the longer version of some of the funny things that have happened along the way. You will both be SO ready for your own comfy bed and things we all take for granted at times. We are cheering for you here.

Anonymous said...

Hey Pat and Karen,
Awesome falling story! I am sorry for laughing out loud!:) I am also one of those people sho laugh at those who fall. Not our of meanness,but because it looks funny and because I was probably on my rump a second ago:)

I am so excited for the 2 of you that Nurik is going to be with you very soon! THe pictures are priceless-especially the one with him alone! He is very photogenic:)
I am glad that the sores on his face are healing up-they looked like they hurt-poor peanut:( I am also glad that you passed the hitting test and are back to the nice loving visits:)

This weekend we had Brian's nephew, Hunter, with us. He is 9 and a cute boy. He has been diagnosed with ADD, but I personally am not convinced he has it. His life at home is not on a regulated schedule and his mom is not the best with discipline. When he is with us he does not take his medicine and does great. He knows that Brian and I wont tolerate poor behavior and when we tell him no, we mean no.

We took him to the Shed aqarium in Chicago and he had a great time. His favorite animal was the sea dragon! It actually is a seahorse with lots of wings all over it. It looks really cool! Brian and I learned that once female seahorses get pregnant, they give the eggs to the male to put in his pouch in front and hold onto for the rest of gestation. I love that idea and asked if Brian wanted to carry the baby when we do decide to have children? We had mixed feelings. He would carry it since I am always sick, but I am not sure he would go through the birthing process:)

We learned a valuable lesson about children-don't be quick to judge and tell them that they are wrong. Kids are usually telling the truth. We were in the tropical area and Hunter said lets go look at the monkey! Of course Brian and I said-"Hunter there are no Monkeys at the aqarium, only water animals!" WRONG! We turned around and sure enough, there was a cute furry monkey staring back at us. I turned to Brian and laughed:)

The main reason we were in Chicago was to see my migraine MD. I had a great appt. I get to go off one of my meds gradually over 4 months! It is doxepin and the one that has a ton of side effects. I am so happy and excited to see how my body reacts. When I see him in July we will talk about decreasing another med. As you guessed, this is to get my body ready for pregnancy. He thought I would be ready in fall-yeah!!!:) I get to start Prenatal vitamins now so that wont be a surprise for the system later.

Karen, you would be happy to know that I met with a nutritionist! I wanted to lose weight and my migraine diet prevents me from doing Jenny Craig or any of the food based diets. The nutritionist was extreamly helpful and knowledgable! She told me I wasn't eating enough and starving myself in between meals, so I get snacks now. I also had to add in a boatload of fiber and some starch to our dinner. I am now somewhat regular-Allelulia!! Even if I don't lose weight, this is much healthier eating for Brian and myself and I am very glad I met with her!

Hopefully Spring will start to come to Kaz. It has come to Madison and we have a river flowing through our backyard. We never had a river there before, but have one now:) It is nice to see the snow melting and gets me excited to plant the garden. So far our garden will consist of catnip, peas, beans, and 1 row of onions(that was my compromise for Brian). Pretty exciting garden-huh?:)

I think I have chatted your ear/eyes off, so I will say goodbye for today. I love you and Nurik very much-kisses and hugs:)
Love, Erin

Kristina said...

K-Pat,
Selection Sunday was yesterday and the Cats play Villanova in Chicago Friday night. Rupp Arena is actually hosting some first round cames and guess who they put here -- Rick Pitino and Louisville. We have tickets so we get to see them play at noon on Thursday. I don't remember many others except Ohio State and some Texas school, A&M I think. Back to UK, if by chance they win on Friday night, they would probably play #1 seed Kansas (unless for the first time ever a 16 seed wins a game.) Another nice day today, Bobby and Libby walked up to the grocery for some Dora soup, her fav, and over to his office then on to feed the ducks. I think it is supposed to get cooler this weekend and rain later in the week and weekend. So glad to have you all back online and love the pictures. My brother and his wife have the same height difficulty in their pictures -- so they usually end up sitting! We'll be praying that you don't see any pink lines this week! Take care -- Kristina

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pictures. It also sounds like you will get to enjoy some of the culture there other than the snow/ice. I thought we were the only ones that constantly fell on the ice. Trying to hold kids, groceries and bags is not a graceful thing! All the suffering of sleeping on the floor and the long walks will make this very memorable, but worthwhile! ;)

Hollyetta said...

We just went camping so I had to get back and catch up with the notes. I understand bad sleeping. I have trouble sleeping at home now you can imagine in a trailer with 4 other big people and Tierney. Every time someone turns over it rocks. You feel it all, like very fragile pier and beam. Last night when I went to sleep it was raining and not windy. At 6am something attacked the trailer. It sounded like someone was trying to drag us away. The awning was getting whipped up by the wind and the side arms came apart and it was flailing. Tammy and I were out there in the very cold rain and wind trying to curb it's enthusiasm. Finally we got it put back together and rolled up. Then our neighbor comes out and says "Did you get that or do you need some help". Good timing. I am sure he was waiting until we quit screaming in the gail force wind to come see. How long is the waiting period now? I get lost. Pictures look cute. I have a few of those of Karen with her eyes shut too.

Anonymous said...

Oh My Goodness! I have been giggling all day. Everytime I think about what your face must of looked like Karen I crack up. You should of seen me early this morning calling mom telling her she's got to read the blog because it will crack you up. It will be awhile before I stop chuckling about this one. Ha! Please send more funny stories to start my day off with a BIG smile.

Now as far as Nick thinking he has WEIRD parents...why in the world would he think that?? Pat is just wearing two pairs of glasses.

I think you guys get to see Nick today (Tues.)? I hope you have a nice visit. Do you or the people there tell him that in a few days he will be leaving? How do you prepare him for that huge change? Something we all need to be praying for.

I can't wait to see what pictures and stories we will read.
Love to all,
Kelly & Family