Well, I was walking to get us some lunch and Surprise, the internet cafe was open. So, I had to just stop in for a quick note. I will send Pat later this afternoon for his break and he can maybe post some also.
So, a quick version of the last 3 days. Nurik came to our apartment without any trouble. No crying. We all got emotional when Dr. Roza was holding him and saying good-bye. We know she truly loves all of these children and I can only imagine her range of emotions when the children leave. He was just wide-eyed and curious with the cab ride to the apartment and pretty much has been non stop since. Everything new and exciting. We have had great surprises in his affection towards us, his talking, his singing, his animated excitement about everything. We really did not see any of this in the Green room. It has been a joy. Sleeping has gone pretty well. Naps are harder because he had a dark room and a group of children all going to sleep with him. We do lay down with him and this seems to work pretty well except sometimes he wants to play. Having only one room is hard because all of the toys are near him. We are journaling at home because there is so much to tell but won't take too much time now. Thank you to all for your prayers for Nick. I think he is doing quite well. His fits are interesting to me and we just keep praying for wisdom on how to discipline him at this very early stage. He corrects fairly quickly and has lately started crying when we say no and then comes right to me to be held. Kind of humorous at times but hard to tell him no all of the time since everything is so new to him but we still have to protect him. I worry about our apartments neighbors thinking that we are hurting him but I suppose most people understand kids.
The latest news is that we moved yesterday on the spur of the moment as a new apartment came open just a block from the internet and only a few blocks from our food (grocery and restaurant) plus only on 3rd floor now. It is a bigger apartment but as we have learned, bigger never means better. More on that later. We are just thankful about the location as Nurik likes to walk but this place puts us much closer to everything for quick breaks like today. Plus, the other place was much more crowded near the market and I welcome less stares now especially with him.
Pat and I have seem to hit the wall emotionally and physically. We feel so terrible for happy little Nurik because we seem to have expended all of our energy just to get to his arrival. It is so hard to cook in a foreign place with little supplies and much smaller food supply. We are going to try out a restaurant when he is excepting going in and out of buildings better but until then we are in a pretty desperate mode. He loves being outside so much that he has little fits everytime you try to take him inside....glad we have a nice fenced in yard for him. As a dietitian, it is killing me that I can't provide better food for him but we are just trying to get by for now. He has had a bad cough that has not been good for his sleeping as he only coughs when he is in the bed. Masha got us some medicine that seems to be helping some. They keep saying it is probably because we give him some cold drinks or sweets which we have not done much since we know how unusual they are about that......can't wait to get back to our kind of why the kid is sick excuses. I just can't get their reasoning. Regardless, please keep Pat and I in your prayers. I have my Nanny coping skills which kick in most of the time but as weary and tired as we are it has been a hard few days for us. This holiday has cost us 4 days of business days for our paperwork so I think that is what got us a little sad. Masha is very firm with the fact that she doesn't see how we would be home before easter. We can't emotionally even think that far ahead or we get teary. We are just trying to take one day at a time and just enjoy our little boy. It is very hard to be introduced to a life changing experience in a very uncomfortable environment but we know God doesn't give us anything that we can't handle so we are just praying for a miracle quick paperwork turn around and will just be so happy to have Nurik at home. He really is amazing and funny. We just wish we could enjoy him with more energy. Thanks for all of the comments. We value them so much.
To our Moms and Dads.....we are trying to get the new phone number for you. If you don't already have it, we will get Pat to send this afternoon. Love to all, K-Pat and N
Saturday, March 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






5 comments:
I think you guys are holding up amazingly well- I don't think I would be doing as well if in the same situation. You all have been away from home so long and through so much- emotionally it has to take its toll. Hang in there! We will be praying for everything to turn around super quick so you all can get home soon. Just remember that you don't have to be energetic or super fun Mom and Dad to Nurik right now- I'm sure he is really just happy (and blessed)to have you there. Soon you all will be home and it will be much easier.
Updates from here- Emma had her allergy tests done again yesterday (1 year follow up) and it didn't go very well. Her food allergies that she already had have worsened, and some new ones popped up. (Karen- what am I going to feed this girl?) We're starting a food challenge for the questionable ones for the next few weeks, and hopefully it will turn out OK and we wont have to eliminate anything else. Her school's fundraiser was last night- dinner and auction. Her teacher made a quilt of pictures of Emma and her classmates (precious), but I lost the bidding war. I stepped out later to get Emma and mistakenly left my bidding paddle with d'Art, and when I came back he had bought the "train" basket- he said it was for a good cause and he thought we needed to buy something. So hope Nurik likes trains (or you were looking forward to introducing him to trains) b/c some stuff is coming your way!
You all take care. Lots of love and prayers coming your way!
I am so happy for you!!!!! I know everything will be ok. You seem to be doing the best you can in the situation. Don't worry about the food thing. Just eat what you can. You have years and years to instill good eating habits and healthy food. Think of it as vacation where you do off things. Sorry about the delays, in a few years none of that will matter anyway. Tierney is yelling for me from the bathroom. Gotta go.L,H
It sounds like your life is crazy like ours was this morning. We took Ethan to a bowling party for a bunch of 3 yr olds. I never knew bowling balls could move so slow!! We joked that there was time for potty breaks before they actually hit the pins. Fun was had by all, although Ethan looked at me and said "I have never seen such bad bowling!" Words of wisdom from my soon to be 4 yr old. :) I have to run. Nap time is not going well for him.
Hang in there! I am glad that the new place is closer to the cafe, etc. Kim's post made me think - is there a bowling ally there? I have been bowling in Vietnam and Bangkok and think there was a place in Cairo. Might be a fun outing.
Pat - I am catching up on old posts and needed to say that you will be an incredible role model. You have been for me. Your dedication, faith, sense of humour and honor, and amazing marriage are inspiring. So often when our pathes have taken different directions and you never dropped a beat, but simply gave unconditional love and support. Nick has got a good Alpha to follow.
Love,
Tracey
You guys are doing amazingly well. Are you serious? You guys are thousands of miles away in a strange country, different foods and surroundings and oh have a new son. Please know that we all know you have the strength and toughness to not only make it through, but with a great sense of humor and amazing faith. Just a few days away really. Then, back to the Bluegrass. We are all so proud of you and love you dearly.
Love,
Ray and Smetz :)
Post a Comment