Wednesday, March 28, 2007

New approach...better night of sleep

Well we made it most of the way through the night last night. Karen and I tried a new approach in which when it was getting towards bed time we let Nick tell us how to get into our beds (well be ended up sleeping in the living room again) and we turned out the lights. Nick then just watched us try to sleep. He then got bored and finally the orphanage scheduling caught up with him and he voluntarily went to sleep. Instead of fighting till the wee hours...with this new approach we were going to sleep by 10:30. We with try again tonight to see if we can reproduced the results.

Karen is still feeling pretty bad with her sinuses and we hope they get better before trying to fly to Almaty. Some prayers in this area would be appreciated. Still not sure when we will leave. Hopefully we will know more by Friday.

Nick and I now have a new game in which he stands on the window sill and throws imaginary objects out the window. He points to some place on the sill and has papa scoop them up and hand them to him. I have not idea what he is throwing but feel they may my remaining marbles.

We had success on the bath front today. The first bath a few days ago did not go so well since Nick was scared of being in the water. However, after helping mama and papa with their baths (which take much longer with a 3 year old helping, plus a little more public than I like) he decide he wanted to take one. He seems to adapt very quickly. The first time he experiences something he is afraid but gets over it in the next 1-2 tries.

We hope to meet up with Masha and her son this afternoon to go to a restaurant set up specially for kids. It snowed a bit last night and is a bit colder but for the sake of all our sanitise we need to get out of the apartment and burn off a bit of energy .....especially our little energizer bunny.

Well, that is all for today. I need to run a few chores and get back to the family. All of our best to everyone and we are one day closer to coming home...HORAAYYYYYYY. K-Pat

4 comments:

Carrie, Mark & Mikey said...

Yippee on the better night of sleep! I *know* how hard it is to keep sane without good rest. Our *new* news is that Mark's boss got fired, so he's taking over that job on an interim basis...translation: MORE TIME AT WORK! Yuck! Also, Mikey fell asleep in the car yesterday and missed his nap...wouldn't have been so bad, but we had pictures scheduled! Talk about a "goat-rodeo"! I ran non-stop to keep him out of everyone else's photos, off the top of the kiddie table and out of the "Employees Only" room!! By the time Mark got home, I was ready to throw myself under a "BIG bus" (quotes are from Mikey as this is his new favorite phrase). I cannot wait until you guys get home!! Praying for health and quick paperwork!! We miss you!

Anonymous said...

Yeh, We have internet service again. We're back home in Rhinelander, weather is beautiful and its nice to be home.
We're so happy to hear that you had a better nights sleep. Hope things continue to improve.
Nurik is such a dear, can't wait to meet him.
Karen, we continue to say many prayers for improved health, and as always prayers for all of you as you continue this journey.
We'll try to call again this evening.
Love, Mom and Dad

Kristina said...

Karen,
Hang in there, girlfriend! I am on the antibiotics with you -- it's not strep but the doc said my throat looks horrible. Libby had her first visit to the ER -- and she got to take home 8 stitches! She fell while at ChickFilA's play area. Bobby and I were not with her since we were at the ballgames at Rupp so she got to ride in an ambulance with my cousin! Can't wait to see that bill! She slept through the stitches which was a total God thing. Bobby took her to get them out Friday and she just laid her head and his lap and let them cut them out so another praise there. I saw Kelli Douglas at BSF today -- didn't know you knew her! What a small world. And soon you will be home in your own house, in your own bed, with any fast food you could want at a moment's notice. You will appreciate America even more after living someplace else. But until then, accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative, forget about your troubles and your strife, something about the Bear Necessities (sing the Jungle Book song -- Libby hasn't got into that one yet and it has been awhile!) Oh one last trick, when I would walk to UK from my PaPa's house during the winter, I would sing that Beach Boys(I think) song, Aruba, Jamaica, oh I want to take you to Bermuda, Bahama, come on pretty mama Key Largo Montego, Baby why don't we go ... something, something, something. You get the idea -- I sing lots of silly songs to get me through. You are a trooper! Well, my Alg 2 student just called and wants to meet last minute tonight before a test so I better go make dinner and study a bit before I head over there. Bobby and Libby are out taking a walk -- it has been raining all day but the sun is out now so this is an extra treat we didn't plan on. Love you all, Kristina

andrea said...

Okay, well I just caught up on all of your blogs since I was in South America...I think it is such a testiment to the strength of your relationship that you've maintained such a sense of humor throughout some very trying circumstances...I really loved the ice skating stories:) Nurik really does sound so much like Will at that age, from the nightly coughing fits to the tantrums, but the great news is that despite those things (which, by the way, you are so capable of handling now after all of your experience Karen) he sounds like he has Will's heart of gold and affecionate demeanor. It is so surprising that at ten years old, when most boys start trying to be all macho, Will is constantly telling his Mom and Dad "I love you" and giving us all big bear hugs. The good definitely outweighs the bad and the bad will get better!

The other weekend I went home to Owensboro for my Mom and little sister's birthdays and I actually made my mom a carrot cake from scratch...and not only was it edible, it actually tasted really good! I'm hoping that this is not a sign of the apocolypse because, Karen, you know that my version of cooking is limited to warming things up in the microwave;) Actually, over Christmas at my Dad's place, I made my Aunt Faye's special recipe for lasagna and the dish was empty by the end of the meal...so maybe my future kids won't starve to death afterall! Okay, so I'm not trying to be mean and torture you by talking about food (so sorry!)...what I'm getting at is that when you guys get back home, just let me know when a good night is and I'd love to bring over a home-cooked meal (of course, the lasagna's out because of the tomato allergy, but I can learn to make something else).
I pray that you all have good health in time for your flights because I know that there is nothing more miserable than flying when your sinuses are acting crazy. Good luck and keep up the good spirits...I really admire you guys!