Well, we say 13 days.....but that is just when Nurik gets to come to the apartment with us. We still have paperwork left after that and Dr. visits in Almaty so maybe another 10-14 days after we get Nurik. Then, hopefully our flights will all work out and we can start that big trip home. We still are anticipating an arrival home in the first few weeks of April.
We had an interesting day with Nurik. Maybe he knew everything was final and that we couldn't change our minds anymore! ;) He started out fine but then (whether tired, overheated or just confused) he felt the need to start hitting. We would say no in English, Kazakh, and Russian without much help so Masha helped us out with stronger phrases. He would cry and cry when we put him down or away from us which was kind of humorous. He wanted to hit but still wanted us to hold him. We read that this can often be a way of testing you to see how much you will take....will you still want him, love him, etc. It kind of breaks my heart to know that he is so confused. He would try to hit me and then if I put him down he would just scream to be picked back up again. He would cuddle and then start hitting again....we did this over and over thru the 2 hours and about 20 minutes before his time was up, he just fell asleep on my chest. It was so strange to see him struggle like this. I know he probably wishes he could communicate to us how he feels but I think 3 year olds struggle with this anyway. We just wonder what is going on in his sweet little head.....so much emotion, I suppose. This is of course, when we wish we could just walk out with him and take him home but we know that God has protected him this far so we have to trust that 13 more days will be OK. It is probably harder on Mama and Papa. Although some of the looks that he gives us shows us that he is dealing with just as many emotions as we are.
Tomorrow, is International Women's Day. A National (and maybe Russia also) holiday where all the Women are celebrated from girls to older women. The men buy them gifts and take them out.....it sounds like a secretary, mother's, and grandparents day all rolled into one. Although, I like the fact that they celebrate women....much different then that silly movie, Borat, supposedly represented. We are finding that almost a month in a country shows you the real core of a culture. People are maybe getting used to us. One older man stopped Pat on the road a few days ago just to shake hands with him. Our grocery security guard smiles and says hello and goodbye, the ladies at the hot pocket place know our order, and the laundry ladies continue to smile and chuckle when we come.
Well, that is all for today, hopefully we will post some pics tomorrow.....had more yesterday but it shut down on me....I was so distraught that Pat had to do the blog. I felt betrayed by the computer! ;) This is how much communication means to us now. Thanks for all of the updates....we loved them...really! Betsy, thanks for the ER update....i am good to go now.
Adoptive families who are already here or are coming....we would love to email but that is not a great success story for us now but we will contact you if we can....would love to touch base with some of you .....all I can say again is...... bring games and canned chicken/peanut butter especially if you are not a big meat eater. Love to all of you, K-Pat
Wednesday, March 7, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






12 comments:
Hayden was a hitter when he was about three. He never hit any of the kids at his pre-school, just a few chosen adults...Noel and I mostly. I stressed over it, but it seemed to be just a phase, maybe a means of knowing who is in control. Oh the joys of boys. Everything is fine here. I have had another employee leave, so I have lost count of how many people's jobs I'm doing now. I do have reinforcements coming the 1st of April. Aunt Wanda and Uncle Jub are fine too and are always interested when I read them the blogs. Dad and Doug came over the weekend and I showed them the pictures. They think he is awfully handsome. Enjoy the culture. You will have lots of stories to tell Nurik later. See you soon.
Ethan also went through a hitting phase and I was mortified! Everyone assured me it would pass, and it did. Frustration was the main factor. He mainly did it with one of the boys at daycare, but they were also best friends. Boys are definitely an adventure! Aidan hasn't moved into that phase yet, but I'm sure it won't be long. Nurik needs to test the limit of your commitment, I would imagine. We are getting spring fever in WI. It is supposed to be in the 50's next week. That will be heavenly after our cold weather.
Tierney has not been a big hitter. She is more likely to swing something and hit you with it like a doll. She does very contradictary things though. She will be very agitated then she will want to hug on you and tell you she loves you. Right now she is into fake crying to get her way. She cried over not getting a corny dog tonight. I know the wait must be getting to you. If you don't get back until April maybe May would be a good time for the introductory party. I would like to come and see all of you at any time though. Enjoying your stories. John Steven bought Borat yesterday. I haven't seen it yet. You will have to set me straight on it. L, Holly
Karen,
Did you take any dice with you? You should teach Pat how to play Bunco! Apparently our menu has changed for Ginas -- she is hosting a Bali dinner, very islandy she says. It consists of chicken, rice, coconuts, pinapple, and almonds. Maybe Carrie will do soups for you when you return! I have ordered a present for Nurik off of Ebay -- totally random thing I wasn't looking for it but was excited to find it. Last night, I spent a couple of hours researching some other things for him. I am having a ball! The CATS just bet Alabama in the opening round of the SEC tourney. We play again tomorrow at one, each day if we win, we play again the next day at one. My mom and Libby are sleeping on the couch so I had some time to check emails and such. This has been such a neat way to share in your journey to adopt. Beth Moore has a blog so I have started reading that each day when I read yours! Thanks for bringing me kicking and screaming into the 21st century! SHannon and Kimberly taught me how to text on my cell phone so I am slowly catching on. Now my tutoring student texts me her homework assignments each time she has class. This younger generation would rather text on the phone than talk I think! This morning I went to MUMS at church and we did little service projects around the church. We eat breakfast, have guest speakers and do some type of devotional each time. Just something else you could think of doing to get connected with other Moms. I know it will be an adjustment but you will be fine (you too Pat). It is going to be hard to remember what life was like without him! Bobby and I ask ourselves all the time what did we do before Libby? Well, I will have to check back this evening for a new post from you all. Hope you have been getting to see some more of the city. The weather here is gorgeous. Sunny and 50s maybe. Spring is just around the corner! Take care you two! KML
Well guys, so glad to hear that court went well, no snags. Just a few weeks away......I have been out of the loop for a few days. I had a CE in Vegas, poor Sandy :( It was great, we took the poochies and everyone was fine. Ray won some cash, yeah!! We sold the house and closed last week. Finally! It is getting warm here, I will try to send some your way. Like almost 90° today. This summer should be interesting. We are still getting out and enjoying the weekends, new adventures everywhere. Ray is loving, I mean loving class. He is making straight A's. As for me, I am learning a lot at work. A little more neuro than I am used to Pat, I guess the snow bird population. We are planning a trip to Colorado next month, Boulder. We are hoping to meet my mom, sister and neice there. I will send the blog address to Lisa and Justin. But, they are settling in to South Dakota. They won't move into their house until mid April, so in an extended stay for now with a dog, cat, oh a month old.....That is all from sunny Arizona! I think about you guys a lot. Love you both dearly!
Smetz
Well, it was sooo good to talk to you tonight. Glad to hear all is going well. I hope the internet cafe is open today. I'm anxious to hear how your visit with Nick went and maybe see more pictures? Oh, we forgot to tell you that Levi & Shirley Stewart called to say congrats. They too have been following your blogs but haven't figured out how to post. They are very excited for you all. Hugs and kisses to all three of you.
Have a great day!
Love, Kelly & Family
Am sitting in a hotel room in BHM Alabama catching up on emails, preparing for the day's meetings, etc., and was in need of a blast of love from Pat, Karen & Nurik. Thanks for the hit.
I am now glad that I was nervous about the court date, so simply lighted candles most days for you. Suspect I hit the right one, and am encouraged that everything seems to be breaking your way. How wonderful that the count down to coming back to the US can begin. I am also glad that you are feeling part of the community. A smile, hand shake, simple recognition of your humanity is key.
It has got to be tough to not be able to communicate with Nurik. I suspect one never ever knows what is going on in a 3 year old's mind and they are always fustrated with trying to express / know their feelings. You have have a steep learning curve with Nurik and I pray that you climb it with giant steps everyday.
I will send an email from my yahoo account to catch up a bit more in detail. (I have an O'Hare story from earlier this week, with the moral being don't mess with a woman who is taking fertility hormones.)
All my love,
Tracey
Hey Pat and Karen,
Congratulations!!!! It sounds like the court appearance was a no problem at all! Way to go:) I am so happy for the 3 of you!!! I am grinning ear to ear and can't wait to talk to Brian about it!!!
I can only imagine what Nurik must be going through. How odd that he is exhibiting the testing through hitting, but I guess it does make some sense. I am glad that you are keeping an open mind about all of it and trying to see things from his point of view. He must be one scared little boy that is excited to have a mom and dad, but scared to leave the only home he has known. God will guide you and Nurik.
Brian and I are still working on our dancing. This week we were smooth and sophiticated with the moves we knew, but I had trouble with learning the box step. The thing with dancing is that the man chooses what move to do and the woman has NO CLUE what is coming up;she just has to follow his lead. I was not figuring out Brian's lead for the box step. He would then try to throw in only 1/2 of the box step. I stopped dancing and told him, "I'TS EITHER THE WHOLE BOX OR NO BOX BOX AT ALL MISTER!" We got laughing and things just went downhill. We moved onto the swing and he has improved, but the poor boy has trouble with the timing. He gets me into the neat spins and just looks at me to see when to do the rock step backwards. I asked him "Were you really on the rock step?" He says "I was close to the rock step:)" I don't think we are ready for dancing with the stars,but there has been some improvement. I told him that next year we can take level 2! He said "Next year our wedding will be over and we won't need dance lessons." We will just see about that:)
This weekend we have his nephew, Hunter, with us. We are going to go to Chicago for my headache appt and after that will take him to the Shed aqarium and the Rainforest Cafe for dinner. I think it should be a fun time:)
Well, I love you both very much and look forward to reading the next blog. I LOVE the pictures. Thank you for including them:)
Love Erin
Hello and hugs from the Sampson clan! We have enjoyed reading, laughing, crying, praying and celebrating with you through your blog. Thanks for the updates! If this post works, we'll add more later! Shannon and crew
Well, I'm guessing something is going on with the internet again since we haven't heard from you. Aunt Wanda called yesterday (Fri.)to see how you all were. She also said that the Wildcats lost yesterday so they are done for the season:( Aunt Wanda and Uncle Jub had watched sports all day she said. She is a better women than me! Ha! Ha! I believe you all got to see Nick today:) Hope it went well. We've got a busy day so I'll write more later. Have a good night.
Love ya'll,
Kelly & Family
Where are you all? Everyone was complaining at BUNCO last night that we haven't heard anything in a few days. We are all anxious for more news. My guess is that the internet must be down there. We are so excited for you all and we can't wait to meet Nick. Owen and Judd will love having another friend to play with. You might not like some of the things they might teach him, though. :) You are all in our prayers! Dannette and family
(Really Carol again). Wow - you already went to court and made it - congratulations!!!!! This must be so exciting for you. I got goose bumps reading your last blog. It sounds like Nurik is acting out the classic approach/avoidance conflict - very much to be expected, and good that you still have a couple weeks to continue to work on it while he is still in familiar surroundings. It is wonderful that you can see the world from his perspective, and be patient and accepting.
Florida is at it's best now - low 80's, breezy, dry. I love being outside now. If only it would stay like this!
Hey, did you know that we are doing daylight savings time tonight? I don't know why we are starting 3 weeks early this year - and continuing an additional week at the end. I must have missed that whole debate, if there was one - but since I walk/jog at 5:30 AM, I am not keen on that change. Now it will really be 4:30 when I am out there!
That was the editorial comment for the evening. Have a wonderful week, enjoy every minute with Nurik and keep sending the gorgeous pictures!
Carol
Post a Comment