Tuesday, March 13, 2007

More Dork stories....

We are already getting pink lines today so we will not risk sending pictures as it uses up time (precious time) plus maybe we will get a few more cute ones of the boy today when we see him a little later.

I have been having fun trying to interact in Russian and feel pretty proud of my accomplishments until I realize I have done more of those funny things that make the Kaz people say Dork! I was trying to ask the computer guys about what time they were open the next day and thought I was doing wonderfully because I said the times in military times like they always do so I thought I was being so thoughtful and he just smiled and nodded (they do this a lot with us) so when we left, I realized I was still saying the numbers in English not russian.....just using military time instead....and then at the laundry where the ladies try to say a few words in english with us and we are having fun trading words. Well, I thought I would be so sly and write their word in Russian so I wrote the word dehn for day......she just looked at it and smiled and nodded again....I know they are saying Bless her little American heart....but again as we left I realized, duh, I was writing the pronunciation version (transliteration) for English not how it is actually spelled in the Russian alphabet so again to them, it meant very little. So, again we are learning humility over and over again. We must have had some serious pride issues that the Lord needed to work on.... ha!

It is still very cold here again. We have seen some real sidewalk though from the recent warmer days....although for you all that are entering spring....warm days for us are maybe in the 20's....woo, hoo~!! I am becoming a rather hearty woman. Pat is proud and I may be able to tolerate those Wisconsin winters a bit more! We have determined that the reason the women wear the spiked heels is that they act as sort of ski poles in the snow and ice....that's how they stay up. With the last few days of thaw and freeze cycles we have some real nice mini rinks going and have to alter our paths more often since we didn't bring our skates.....

We will post some town pics and orphanage pics tomorrow if there is a no pink zone internet time. We are lacking a bit on the inside pics because we did not know we would tour that day and wouldn't you know our batteries decided to give out. We did take video and probably could have taken some pics with that but we were rushing through and didn't want to stop and switch the video camera. We will probably get one more chance to take a picture or two when we pick up Nurik next week.

Thanks for all of the comments........I knew you would laugh, Kelly! Love to all! Oh, and we think there might be another family on there way here so that will be fun to have some fellow adoptive travellers around. K-Pat

4 comments:

Shannon Sampson said...

So glad to see lots of new posts since the last time we were on line! Sorry this posts as John... I'm just using his account, but it's shannon again.

Do you remember my friend Mel, Karen? She has come to Bunco a few times, and usually increases the noise level a few decibels. Anyway, she has a good friend in Bowling Green who adopted twins from Kazik (sp?) a few years ago. Seems like they might be 3ish by now, but I'm not sure. Mel sent her your blog; hopefully you all can connect at some point. I don't think her boys speak the language anymore, but I'm sure you and Monica (the mom) can share stories!

I'm home today with Lauren Clay. It is spring break for UK, so I was excited to head to the quiet campus get some writing done while Lauren Clay did mother's day out. Unfortunately, she woke up in the night with a fever, so I can't take her in. She seems to be fine now, but there's a 24-hour-fever-free rule at the church that I'm going to respect (because I hope other parents respect it!) Last night when we gave her the baby Motrin, she rubbed her tummy and said, "YUM!" Cracked us up :)

We're off to go outside for a little while before the rain comes. It's been really pretty the past few days, and we are trying our best to soak in the beautiful weather while it lasts. We anxiously await future posts and can't wait to see you all soon!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, he's a very handsome little guy & it seems he really loves you guys already. Glad the hitting didn't last very long. I can only imagine what must be going on in his little mind. I can't wait to hear his whole story. I know God is really working in this & it'll con't to go well. Phoebe

lykins said...

Love the stories- what a great adventure you all are having. Glad you both have such a good sense of humor. And Pat- I am bringing over the American Idol playstation game so that we can all enjoy your rendition of Beyonce's "To the Left"- Who knew you were such a pop star? :) I'm glad Nurik thought the "teradactyl" noise was funny vs. scary- I'm sure it wont be long until he figures out how to imitate that sound! Can't wait to see more pictures. Take care guys!

Anonymous said...

Hey K & P,
How are ya'll doing?? Just think it is one week from today (Wed.) that you get your son. YEAH!!!! I know you guys are anxious to get on with the process and get HOME.

When will you all find out if the other couple is there? I think that would be great if you guys would get to visit with American people that didn't think you were DORKS. Ha!

Mom still has not figured out what they are going to do with the blacksplash. I don't know what to tell her anymore. It all is mush in my brain. I wish there was someone that could help her. Dad is anxiously waiting for his injection on Thursday. I pray that it gives him some relief.

Hope you have a good day. I have to go to bed so I can get up and workout. Yes, I'm still hanging in there. Don't have that perfect body yet. Ha! Never will!!
Love, Kelly & Family